Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric Fence for pigs  (Read 3322 times)

jopind

• Joined Jul 2013
Electric Fence for pigs
« on: March 05, 2014, 04:30:14 pm »
Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything specific using the search tool.

I have two 3 year old Kunes and have them ranging over 3 acres (due to the weather) I am going to need to contain them when things finally start growing and would like to strip graze them over the field rather than let them range. I was told by their previous owner that they were electric fence trained as youngsters but its been a few years since they have been near one. I have read up on electric fence training and have a suitable fenced in area to be able to do it in.

The confusing bit being a complete newbie is what spec I need the fence and battery to be. I have found a kit online (http://www.fearing.co.uk/pig-metal-electric-fencing-kit/) which looks ok but I assume I need to buy a separate battery? Is there anything else I would need to buy as well?

I have never used an electric fence before and really haven't a clue. Any advice very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Jo

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Electric Fence for pigs
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 06:05:02 pm »
Yes by the looks of the link you supllied that kit would need a battery as well unless you went for mains (depends on how close to your supply they are !

personally I prefer white "horse tape" to wire, as the pigs see it more easily and learn quicker.

This guide is quite good to explain the bits and how it works

http://www.rappa.co.uk/advice-centre/13-fencing-guide

You'll need a leisure battery and suggest you go for over 70ah - this is essentially how long the battery needs between charges.  The higher the number, the longer it lasts.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 06:47:00 pm »
One thing about making your fence system visible is that some pikeys will spot it and jump over your gate and help themselves. If you're visible from a road go for as low key as possible. Otherwise leccy fence is brilliant for pigs.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:12:49 pm »
we have mains but we should have bought a battery type one really as its difficult to put in position without trails of wire everywhere cos of the shape of our farm/yard. we are also using lightweight jumpleads instead of the small crocodile clips and they are working great.
the earth is very important but we have used a variety of metal poles with success. doesn't have to be the expensive purpose made ones. plastic posts are ok but it all works better if there is a decent post/strainer at either end to keep it tight.
we have nail-on and screw on insulators, plenty of options to make this easy for you.

jopind

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 06:16:14 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

All looks very positive. That link you gave oaklandspigs is spot on, just the kind of thing I had been looking for.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 08:25:18 pm »
Aslong as you keep battery charged it's great mine test the fence every day....it's excellent for strip grazing I find 3 strands is best and the bottom one not too closed to the floor so they can't earth it.....wish all animals were as easy as pigs to train to it  :thinking:

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:21:59 am »
One quick tip, if you go with wire be careful how you uncoil it, we made a right pigs ear (pun intended) the first time we tried. it all tangeld up in big mess and couldn't be used at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS