Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: bad afternoon  (Read 1530 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
bad afternoon
« on: February 27, 2014, 06:41:31 pm »
One of my first timer ewes was due 28th Feb.  When I looked this afternoon, I suspected things were happening - she was abit wet and gooey, although perfectly happy and eating her hay and feed, so went and made the shed up - must have been gone certainly no longer than 10 mins when I came back she had had a tiny lamb which although I tried to revive it was dead - within a few minutes another one was born really fast in a torrent of fluid and it was so tiny, perfectly formed but definitely dead and really small.  The only thing I noticed is that their umblical cords were slightly white and not exactly crusty but can't think of the word to describe it but certainly not rich in blood.

She is obviously very distressed.  I think that  for some reason they must have died before being born as their eyes were slightly opaque, but for what reason.  I only have 3 to lamb and it has really scared me to think that I may have done something wrong.  I don't want to lose anymore. 

Should I speak to the vet?  I haven't noticed the afterbirth yet either.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Re: bad afternoon
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 07:25:35 pm »
Ohh maddy I am so sorry !  :gloomy:

I would keep the lambs and any afterbirth if you get any, it may take a while but call your vet and give him the lambs/afterbirth. I would keep the ewe with her lambs for 24hours so she can grieve. Can you get an orphan and skin a lamb and see if she'll accept it?

I don't think there is anything you could have done to avoid this so please do not worry your self silly ( I know its hard not to)

Defo speak to your vet! See if he wants the lambs to PM them and/or afterbirth

Really sorry for your loss

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:33:25 pm »
I agree - getting the vet to take a look will cost you but it'll set your mind at rest and may help keep the rest OK. 

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 08:10:41 pm »
Vet, for sure.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS