Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: killing with kindness  (Read 7900 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
killing with kindness
« on: February 27, 2014, 11:47:09 am »
Just got back from my least favourite (though most satisfying) task of the year. dropped the boys off to be slaughtered. Have already commented in the abbatoir guide on here how fabulous J and J farmers near Holsworthy is- and I can only say the same again. maybe its because whenever I turn up with pigs or sheep its clear that they have been cared for, are easy to handle and possibly there's a stray tear ? but they are so kind and gentle. even the chap who was clearly due to do the deadly deed said to me " don't worry, I'll look after them"  as the boys trotted out the trailer and followed me to their doom. if you got to go, that's the way to do it.
In my working life and personal life I come into contact with a lot of people who keep livestock and I have never managed to understand why some, regardless of numbers treat them with kindness and care and others, just don't. so unnecessary. so glad our precious few get such a gentle send off- makes a difficult task that much more bearable

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: killing with kindness
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 12:08:23 pm »
 :thumbsup: good post.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:22:42 pm by Dan »
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 12:32:38 pm »
Lovely post, I made this in your honour:  :hugsheep:

:thumbsup:

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 12:49:32 pm »
Couldn't have put it better! Had two cows go off this morning, Still feeling sad  :( They will be dead by now but the place is lovely (within reason)

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 01:10:47 pm »
nice post DL, and good to know there's a quality abbatoir just up the road (should the need ever arise).

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 01:39:11 pm »
Lovely post, I made this in your honour:  :hugsheep:

Aw, bless. Can you make a cow hug one?

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 01:44:30 pm »
Great post.  I can highly recommend J&Js too, they've always been wonderful with my animals. 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 02:08:24 pm »
I just hope EU regs. don't see off any more of the small abattoirs.  I was speaking to someone yesterday whose vet inspects the Morrisons one - many thousands of animals of each class go through every week.  Even with the best handling system and well-trained staff the noise and sheer numbers it must involve makes me glad ours go to a small one. 

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 08:03:19 pm »
thanks dan (and everyone). soppy bastard. our neighbours cant fathom how we can  take our lambs and pigs for slaughter when we clearly lavish so much time and care on them and are so fond of them.. as we know on here, its often the sole purpose of having them in the first place. small abbatoirs like j and j's make it less of an ordeal. Thursday is sheep day and I was bothered to see how quiet they were- hopefully its just slightly out of season. the thought of such places disappearing to be swallowed up by large slaughter houses such as MF describes fills me with dread. not sure i'd be as able to take them

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:00:21 pm »
Cracking post DL and good to know about J&j ..if all goes well this time, they will not be that far from me.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 09:50:10 pm »
Its very hard but the right one .You notice haw still and carm when they have gone .Miss the terkeys and geese for the christmas markit . Pens fields emptey .

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 12:07:54 am »
I'm always very sad on slaughter day too. My sheep are more like pets to me (the girls are definitely pets) and even though the boys are going to be slaughtered for meat, they still get given names by my kids, are fussed over and given lots of attention right up until the day comes for their one-way trip. We use a small abattoir too - I think it would break my heart to send them to a big commercial affair, knowing that the noise and smell and non-personal approach would mean that their last hour or so was spent being really frightened.  :hugsheep:

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 08:43:16 am »
I have taken lambs to JJ Farmers for my neighbour and I agree, the staff are very sensitive and helpful.
But I will not take my animals there and only use his vehicle and trailer because the last mile of single track  to the place is a diabolical journey for them. It makes a nonsense of  the " use a local abattoir to reduce the stress on the livestock" philosophy.  The potholes and ruts are so bad and frequent it's like going at right angles across a ploughed field. They shake your teeth out. If anybody comes the other way, it's a nightmare.
I guess if you have nowhere else within reach, you have to put up with it, it's just not for me. 

Moel

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 07:19:52 pm »
Wonderful post.
I feel a bit guilty about most of the meat I eat (probably more respect than guilt) and have to say that knowing it's been cared for right until the very last makes me happier about the whole process.

On the positive side, Anyone who takes their stock to slaughter is a million times
More educated than those who think meat comes in white plastic boxes......long live the professional small local slaughterhouse.

Regards

Moel

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 10:12:16 pm »
I have taken lambs to JJ Farmers for my neighbour and I agree, the staff are very sensitive and helpful.
But I will not take my animals there and only use his vehicle and trailer because the last mile of single track  to the place is a diabolical journey for them. It makes a nonsense of  the " use a local abattoir to reduce the stress on the livestock" philosophy.  The potholes and ruts are so bad and frequent it's like going at right angles across a ploughed field. They shake your teeth out. If anybody comes the other way, it's a nightmare.
I guess if you have nowhere else within reach, you have to put up with it, it's just not for me.
cant disagree about the lane, though on the plus side I was pleased to see yesterday that some of the worst ones have been filled in. just means a very slow drive to try not to rattle the poor boys any more than necessary. when I arrived yesterday the boys were all laid down in the back chewing the cud so not too traumatised by the bumps

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS