Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: heptavac  (Read 6956 times)

Advertisement

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
heptavac
« on: February 24, 2014, 11:46:58 pm »
Question regarding heptavac.  None of my ewes have been covered by heptavac.  I am going to do all my lambs once the youngest are 3 weeks.  When is the best time to start my ewes on the programme.  Obviously the best time would be when i do the lambs then they can all be done, all be repeated again and then the ewes can have a booster next year before lambing.  Just wanted to check that its ok to do the ewes with lambs at foot who are also being done.  If that all makes sense!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: heptavac
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:13:49 am »
If you are closer than 8 weeks to lamb then yes I would do with lambs. Remember they need 2 doses about 4 weeks apart. I'm not sure if it's 6 weeks for lambs, better check with vet.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 09:01:29 am »
Second dose 4-6 weeks after the first.

You'll want to do your ewes 4-6 weeks before lambing next year - that's a booster.

The prelambing booster confers some passive immunity to the lambs through colostrum, that's why you don't do the lambs earlier than three weeks old because of the two immunities.

I would think that if you did the ewes when the lambs were three weeks old there would be no conflict buy really I'm guessing, so unless someone comes on that's sure, Id check with your vet.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 11:12:57 pm »
Yes its fine to do the ewes & lambs together from 3 weeks old.  I dont know how many sheep you have but there is a manufacturing problem with heptavac at the moment & its really had to get 50 dose bottles, smallest pack 250ml,125 dose.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 08:42:06 am »
I bought 25 dose bottle yesterday  :)

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 09:11:09 am »
I also got a 25 dose bottle a couple of weeks ago from hypervet.  It doesn't last though, bottle states it should be used within 10 hours.  Did booster for all our sheep plus our neighbors but still have half a bottle going to waste.

Then when lambs are born I'm going to waste another half bottle.

Thinking of that how are you supposed to dispose of it?  Animal health states to dispose according to manufacturer’s instructions, manufacturer instructions state to dispose of following local guidelines, local disposal (council) have no idea what I talking about.  Maybe I should just keep it forever!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 09:54:12 am »
Or put the contents on the compost heap and recycle the bottle?

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 10:59:47 pm »
re disposal: I clarified this last year with Perth local council, and yes pour away liquid medicines and containers can go into domestic waste stream ( thats the wheelie bin!) or recycle if correct type of plastic.  Glass medicine bottles can go the same route, syringes & gloves can go in the wheelie bin, needles should go in an orange lidded sharps container.  But best to check with your local council waste management team, plus the rules in England are different.

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 11:13:33 pm »
I take my leftover medicines and used needles to the vet if I'm passing. If I'm not, I have a cattle farmer behind me that doesn't mind me using his sharps bin and medicines waste box.

Blacksheep

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 09:13:08 am »
Our supplier hasn't had any smaller bottles of heptavac for a couple of weeks, farmvet do you know when the smaller group are likely to become available, really need to get a small group vaccinated asap?   Will take a look at online suppliers, do people who buy online find that the vaccines stay sufficiently chilled in the post?

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 11:39:09 am »
Our supplier hasn't had any smaller bottles of heptavac for a couple of weeks, farmvet do you know when the smaller group are likely to become available, really need to get a small group vaccinated asap?   Will take a look at online suppliers, do people who buy online find that the vaccines stay sufficiently chilled in the post?

We send using refrigerated delivery, as should every seller:

http://www.tasshop.co.uk/?searchStr=heptavac

HTH,

Dan

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 11:09:16 pm »
Your local vet may well be able to organize small quantities of vaccine for you, either by sharing with other small holders or putting you in touch with large flocks who can draw off the required number of doses when they're injecting their sheep. Again check its been properly stored if you're arranging this privately as numerous farms seem to believe refrigeration is for wholesalers & vets but not applicable once the vaccine gets on farm!
No date from manufacturers as to when small bottles are likely to be back in circulation to reach your local distributer.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 02:50:47 am »
Check the farmer isn't sticking used needles into the bottle to do subsequent doses as well, I've seen this before and it would worry me personally, biosecurity would be an issue. Best ask your vet if you want to bottle share as he will have other small stock keepers on his books and may be willing to coordinate you all.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS