Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kidding has begun  (Read 13979 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: kidding has begun
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 10:54:09 pm »
Sounds good, where did you get it ?

I am afraid my OH is the gizmo person in our house. But we basically bought an indoor camera (with IR capability) with an IP over mains transmitter for the distance from the goathouse to our house, plus some extra cable from the extension connection for the goathouse (in the garage) to the router in the house because of interference.

Bit if you have clear line of sight between your house and the goathouse you can get easy transmission to either a computer screen or a TV (which we haven't got).

There are a few "ready made" systems available, usually sold under "lambing cameras", but our combination worked out cheaper.

Hope your girls get on with it! (I am sure they will - weather forecast is a bit wild... snow down your way?)

The whole caboodle came from Amazon.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2014, 11:42:15 pm »
sounds complicated ::)   
just been out and nothing happening .
its a bit cold and windy but dry here, its been a lovely day all day today and yesterday actually reached 14 deg
Graham

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 10:23:21 am »
Another set of Twins Born at 3am this morning , Both Boys
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 11:08:37 pm »
I'm so jealous. I've got to wait until May before mine are born. She's already huge.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 11:11:15 pm »
We had another single born on Saturday taking the number up too 8 kids
Cherry was due on Saturday and we are still waiting , dread to think what she is going to produce as she is as wide as she is long  :o
Graham

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 10:22:58 am »
Still waiting for the 3  dairys that we are kidding , 2 where due Saturday and 1 sunday  :-\  , the 4 Boers we had put in kid have produced either early or ontime
Graham

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 12:43:43 pm »
Still waiting on ours too- Arwen was due on Friday and still nothing! Hope all your babies are doing ok.

Beth

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2014, 01:20:31 pm »
Our kidding began with an unexpected delivery of twin girls to my GG 1st kidder, 5 days early... She waited until all of us were away... (and I had checked her in the morning, as she had been restless all night (thank god for the camera), but showed no signs of imminent kidding)...

Next one is my ginormous BT girl, due next Monday. She is just lumbering about and looking seriously fed up!

Sokel - if your girls still haven't done anything, book yourself a nice dinner out and tell the goats all about it. I bet you will come back to a barn full of new kids!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2014, 06:37:24 pm »
I am supposed to be going out tomorrow so no doubt that's when they will arrive, Its funny our first lot where 5 days early as well
checked previous records and the 3 dairys  that still have to kid where 3 days late last time
Graham

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 02:47:31 pm »
Quads just been born !  :o
Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 03:54:58 pm »
Quads.... :o Hopefully all four well?!

My (AI-ed) BT looks mahooosive.... now you have frightened me a bit.... she's due next MOnday.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 04:44:24 pm »
 :o  blimey  :knit: :knit: :knit: :knit:
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 06:23:45 pm »
Quads.... :o Hopefully all four well?!

My (AI-ed) BT looks mahooosive.... now you have frightened me a bit.... she's due next MOnday.
I knew she was big and her udder was almost on the floor but I still didn't expect quads.
all 4 are a good size and made sure all have had 2 good drinks of Colostrum  and are also latching on :thumbsup:
Graham

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 06:32:08 pm »
Brilliant!  Well done all of you - trust she's not a first timer. 

So what do you actually do with quads?  Let mum feed 2 and bottle feed the others or let the first 2 have mum in the morning while the other ones are bottle fed and then the other 2 take the afternoon shift?

Hope mum keeps well!
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 06:38:29 pm »
TBH I have never had quads before , At the moment I am leaving them with mum but making sure everyone gets regular feeds . We will probably take them off her after a week anyway and bottle them. This is her 3rd and last lot of kids, 2 at  first kidding both female, 3 at second kidding 2 female and 1 male, then 4 at this kidding 3 female and 1 male. Not risking her  again.
She actually only had the 1 mating as well
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS