Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 4578 times)

stan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Leeds
Re: Newbie
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 09:00:30 pm »
Hi HM,
We have 5 chickens no cockerel tho thank god, 2 ducks, chickens have the back of the garden ducks have the pond which is about 18 long and 4 foot eide and 2 1/5 deep they share it with kio carp.
We peg washing out where the chickens are its no problem, The piglets will go on our side garden which is plenty big enough for them both half of it has block paving down and the other half is mud, I've done alot of reading in what they need i.e. mud hole, water and a house for them which i will be making myself pretty good and building things like that, I've sorted out where there back end stuff is going I've spoke to a farmer and he is willing to help out, so thats a big bonus, Ive checked the laws and everything is good I've got my holding number and herd number now so its all go ahead, we will not getting them till next year now as its nearly winter.
Kind Regards Stan.
P.S. i have pictures of our animals if your intrested in looking at them.

Hi Stan and welcome.  Sorry to be a wet blanket but I think the garden space you have is too small for piglets.  As Rosemary says it very quickly becomes a mud bath.  This is not so bad if its an area separate from the garden.  However it sounds as if you are using your entire garden for this, which if it is the case could cause problems for every day stuff like hanging the washing out.  Have you considered where you will put the output from the pigs, because they go about 6 times a day and it is quite smelly.  Will you have room for a wallow, and would you want a large hole full of muddy water in your garden, in summer a wallow is essential for pigs.  I remember when we lived in a small village with a 200 ft. x 30 ft. garden our neighbours complained bitterly because we had a couple of hens (no cockerel) as they were concerned about flies.  With the best will in the world, I would strongly suggest you find land elsewhere for pigs. 

Even owning your own house there may be by-laws prohibiting you keeping pigs in your garden so best to check it out with local council.

Again I am sorry to be a wet blanket.  HM
Hi all

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 09:18:47 pm »
Yes, post a piccy... we're dead nosey on here I've noticed!
Little Blue

sandy

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 10:35:06 pm »
Love to see piccies!! I only have a garden, pigs would be pusshing it!!! one problem is as Ducks love to put thier food into water I have an acrid smell from the pond as I use layers meal and so the "dust" collects in the small pond and smells a bit sicky..I clean it out every few day's but I may change thier food as the neighbours may find the smell a bit off putting although none have said anything...there is also plenty of other water containers for them to use, I keep a hose up the garden to put fresh water daily into the pond and into the several water containers..I wish they would keep to thier drinking one!!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 08:35:43 am »
Sounds as though you h ave it sorted.  Good luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS