Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rats: how can I keep them away?  (Read 10855 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Rats: how can I keep them away?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 02:37:49 pm »
They hate mint so you can go squirting toothpaste and I think I read cloves smell too. 

We tend to poison ours and it does work but I hate it, you do see them above ground, shaking and acting drunk poor things it does take a while for the poison to work, not their fault they're a rat  :-\
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Rats: how can I keep them away?
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2014, 09:44:30 am »
we used rat poison blocks, blue in colour. We haven't seen a rat in nearly 2 yrs so it must have done the trick.
If you have dogs you have to make sure to put the poison in a safe place. The trick with rat poison is put loads of blocks down for them and wait to see what happens. Too little amount of blocks and the rats become immune to the poison, too many and you'll have to go around picking the leftover blocks up. Hope this helps
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS