Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flame Gun?  (Read 9762 times)

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Flame Gun?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 09:22:18 am »
Frosty? I'm hoping we've seen the back of frost for this year - otherwise fruit harvest isn't hopeful. I've sprayed the fenceline now with systemic and will do it with something else in a couple of days to kill off the tops straight away (didn't realise systemics can take up to four weeks for the damage to show and it needs to be cleared in two, ideally sooner but at least the roots will now go as well). But I'll be using the flame gun on all the paths and paving and there it is perfect.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 12:56:19 pm »
This one will run on paraffin. No idea how much it'll drink - or even where to buy quantities bigger than 1l bottles. I thought I'd try the camping/bbq/lawnmower shop tomorrow to see whether they'll do bigger quantities for less.
It might also run on standard heating oil , perhaps a diesel mixture  or common painters white spirit ( In bulk 20 litre drums  ) if you have it , though you'll have to get a  nice & hot vaporiser hot to start with .

The pressure you pump it up to will determine the fuel consumption so don't always have a portable volcano on the business end .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 11:10:23 pm »
Weirdly it turned out that our local garage has it on the pump - and is the only place around here to stock it - because they supply for normal domestic use. It does get through it quite quickly and would have been mighty expensive to clear the whole area. Weedkiller did the job but I do like the volcano approach - so satisfying and immediate. Given the geese keep destroying the weed matting in the orchard and I don't want to use weedkillers around them, I might use it for keeping the trees clear too (although will need to do part by hand as I guess tree trunks don't appreciate being scorched).

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 09:06:09 pm »
 :idea: Put a goose or three in a simple pig wire portable rolled pen that surrounds a tree trunk for a day or so & they will cut the grass round the trunk for you , whilst at the time also providing free fertilizer for the tree directly where it is needed .  . :roflanim:
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 09:13:24 pm »
I have both but use weedkiller monthly on the driveways, only use the gun in the grass areas

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 10:36:37 pm »
Weirdly it turned out that our local garage has it on the pump - and is the only place around here to stock it - because they supply for normal domestic use. It does get through it quite quickly and would have been mighty expensive to clear the whole area. Weedkiller did the job but I do like the volcano approach - so satisfying and immediate. Given the geese keep destroying the weed matting in the orchard and I don't want to use weedkillers around them, I might use it for keeping the trees clear too (although will need to do part by hand as I guess tree trunks don't appreciate being scorched).

My friends used Grazon 90  in their orchard to clear nettles & all other weeds . They complied with all the safety requirements and did a section at a time .
Once it had killed the weeds they cut the grass ( at 6 inches tall ) , twice , raked it up each time and burnt it when dry .

The geese were then put in the orchard behind electric fencing for slowing down Mr fox  , a night shed ( fox proof)  was towed in the orchard to put them in

Their foot deep water bath ( bottom of one of the big square palletized liquid containers with a 2 inch tap drain in it,
It was put on a home made very low trailer that had a drop down access ramp for them to get up to it & a small ramp for them to exit out the water easily   .

They moved it around if the grass was suffering  , it was power washed out at least once a week .

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 06:46:02 pm »
Searched to find this thread - i'm thinking of getting a weed wand (butane type) - any recommendations?  Just for a small area round my raised beds and on the driveway, oh and a flower bed that's got overgrown.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 11:58:51 pm »
Mine was from Harrod Horticultural. After my initial burst of enthusiasm, I haven't used it much :-( Mind you, I've been pretty useless at removing weeds by any method recently!

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2014, 07:47:14 pm »
Mine was from Harrod Horticultural. After my initial burst of enthusiasm, I haven't used it much :-( Mind you, I've been pretty useless at removing weeds by any method recently!
:roflanim:  Sooooo with you.  I fancy a blaster, but if we havnt finished the job with a striker, scythe and grazon....not sure a burner will help. It about hours on the field isn't it.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS