Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flake has calved  (Read 2985 times)

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Flake has calved
« on: May 17, 2014, 03:06:02 pm »
My Jersey cow, Flake, calved on Thursday night  :excited: .  I hated every minute of it and was so glad it was over!!   Our vets were having a practice meeting and I kept phoning to say what was happening and asking them to discuss what was normal behavior with a calving cow  :eyelashes: .  Vets wife came for moral support as OH was working and then after the meeting the vet called in on his way home. He ended up helping her because she had decided not to push, apparently if they are pampered too much they don't get on with things  :innocent: .  Vet said she had plenty of room and had she bothered pushing the calf would have fallen out no bother. So we have a little bull calf, dad is a Hereford.  Also have a Lim x Black & White that we picked up on Friday adopted on to her.
Her own calf is called Galaxy and the adopted baby is called Mars following on from the chocolate theme  ;D .

Flake and Galaxy

Flake, Galaxy and Mars

Galaxy

Mars

Sorry got carried away with photos but I'm very proud of my baby Flakie  :love:

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Flake has calved
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 03:07:36 pm »
Sorry photos are too big but don't know how to change them  ???

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 05:54:17 pm »
They are absolutely beautiful, you must be really proud if her, calving can be very unnerving for spectators!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 06:15:06 pm »
Congratulations, they all look beautiful  :love: :cow:

Hillie says, "Nonsense, there is no such thing as a pampered Jersey; it is simply the recognition and affection that we deserve - and cannot be overdone."   :-J

I've never heard of a Jersey being 'too posh to push' before!  Never mind, all's well that ends well, and Galaxy looks super.  May decide to try Hereford on one of my girls ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 06:19:12 pm »
Congratulations to all the family  :hugcow:

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 09:33:12 pm »
Congratulations, they all look beautiful  :love: :cow:

Hillie says, "Nonsense, there is no such thing as a pampered Jersey; it is simply the recognition and affection that we deserve - and cannot be overdone."   :-J

I've never heard of a Jersey being 'too posh to push' before!  Never mind, all's well that ends well, and Galaxy looks super.  May decide to try Hereford on one of my girls ;)

You just have to pamper them dont you  ;D. Vet asked if she needed a damp face cloth to mop her brow  :P

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 09:58:43 pm »
ahh bless, congrats, very cute markings.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 09:17:18 am »
Ah lovely pics, well done Flake.
Will we be seeing baby in the show ring? ;D
bestest Mandy :pig:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 01:35:54 pm »
They are beautiful.

RaisinHall Tamworths

• Joined May 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 08:53:29 am »
Ah lovely pics, well done Flake.
Will we be seeing baby in the show ring? ;D
bestest Mandy :pig:

Nooooo!! Took Flake and Yoyo to Ryedale show and hated every minute of it! Will never show a cow again  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS