Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: House rebuild VAT claim - any suggestions?  (Read 2478 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
House rebuild VAT claim - any suggestions?
« on: February 22, 2014, 05:59:46 am »
We have finally submitted our DIY VAT rebate claim to HMRC for the rebuild of our house and garage/workshop.

They have replied asking me to offer to make a deduction to my claim because the garage/workshop is an "ineligible area".

I can quite see their point but the problem is that none of the claims that I have submitted relate to this "ineligible area".

The ground works/fencing/security/drainage that I have claimed for were carried out in relation to the environs of the house, the relocation of the driveway and the requirements set by the Highways Agency for the driveway entrance etc. If anything, the amount of work required was reduced by the presence of the garage/workshop.

My dilemma is that I don't want to get into a pissing contest with the DIY VAT people in case they get huffy and reject the claim entirely. At the same time, I don't see why I should make a deduction for something that I don't consider I have claimed for.

Does anybody have any experience of this?
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: House rebuild VAT claim - any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 06:46:57 pm »
Reply to them explaining that. 

I built my own  house in 2005, sent  HMRC a file of invoices, along with a complete spreadsheet tying in all the invoices with folio numbers.  I showed any areas of VAT which were shared between allowed and not allowed.  I had my repayment within 4 weeks with no questions asked.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 07:58:35 pm »
Thanks Doganjo

I have put a letter together and I will see what they say
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 08:57:37 pm »
if you can show proof of the expenditure on the ineligible area i.e. that it is not included in your claim, you should be ok.

Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS