Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: emergencie fox has appeared  (Read 13547 times)

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
emergencie fox has appeared
« on: February 19, 2014, 01:30:26 am »
I need a way of either keeping it away or killing it as I'm in a town I can't really use poisen I'm worried for my chickens are in danger and I don't own a gun to shoot it my self would an air rifle help of so dose anyone have one for sale I need help asap I'm in kennoway please please get back to me asap really worried

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: emergencie fox has appeared
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 07:33:39 am »
There are foxes everywhere - the only difference is that you've now seen one and he's seen your chickens. If you shoot it (humanely - not with an air rifle), another will take its place. So protect your chickens instead. Put them in a fox proof run and only let thm out if you're out with them.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:11:41 am »
Please don't attempt to shoot a fox with an air rifle. You will just injure it and cause it to suffer needlessly. As HesterF said they are about everywhere and it's up to livestock owners to protect their stock.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 11:41:39 am »
I totally agree.  Urban foxes are now a part of life due to people in towns actively feeding them or being careless with food rubbish.  I have 6 foot weldmesh panels and netting over the top of my chicken run and they get out to a bigger unroofed but still enclosed area if I am at home.  My ducks are more accessible being at the front of the house so they now have a 7 foot high netting enclosure -  hoping foxes don't like loose wobbly netting
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 11:47:35 am »
AS said above, bird security is the priority and making them as fox proof as possible.

If you get caught illegally poisoning or shooting a fox with an air rifle there will be serious repercussions, don't do it!

Contact a licensed pest controller do deal with it via snares or shooting if it is worrying you but as previously said, another fox will just take its place.

demonfarmer2630

• Joined May 2011
  • kennoway
  • soor plooms
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 12:07:19 pm »
My run is only sacure from the top to the ground and unfortunately the wire stops at ground level I don't know what else to do but would a paintball gun deter it not to hit it but to scare it off on a nightly basis ?

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 12:32:43 pm »
Sounds like a plan Demonfarmer2630, but it may scare the hell out of your chickens as well. Realistically your chickens could have been taken at any time and you have been very lucky so far. As everyone has said the only option is to secure your run I think. Perhaps put electrified lines around it about 6" and 12" off the ground and a foot or so outside. The electrical charge should keep it at bay. The danger relying on that is if the electrification fails, as they can sense it and will seize the opportunity to strike. If your ground is soft it will be under the fence in minutes.

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 12:43:21 pm »
Urban foxes need controlling but shooting is often difficult due to the close proximity of other houses. They can be shot from upstairs windows but you'd need someone with an open FAC to do it as I seriously doubt you would be granted one for that purpose. A moderated .22 would do the job and the neighbours probably wouldn't even hear it.

To reiterate, don't even think about using an air rifle
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 01:10:02 pm »
Could you dig in a length of chicken wire along the  bottom of your run, bending it half way up and securing to the run with tie wraps?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 02:00:28 pm »
Pheasant pens near me and also eglus use wire mesh at the bottom, at 90' to the fence, laid flat along the ground. Eglus about one foot, pheasant pens nearer three feet out. Rather than digging it in, which takes quite a lot of effort, the idea is the fox tries to dig but hits the mesh and can't get any further.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 05:48:30 pm »
How about running an electric fence round the outside of the run, I run a single wire about 6-12 inches off the ground.
Anne

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 05:56:20 pm »
I'm not sure you would be allowed to use a firearm in an urban location even with a certificate. Isn't there a rule about distance to highways etc? Plus you can bet your arm that someone is going to spot the shooter and the house will surrounded and stormed in seconds.

Best best is electric fencing. They don't like it as long as it's working properly.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 07:06:49 pm »
If you can make your chicken run fox proof that's ok but if you can't you will have to get someone to deal with the Fox as it will have them that's a certainty.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 09:56:17 pm »
I need a way of either keeping it away or killing it as I'm in a town I can't really use poisen I'm worried for my chickens are in danger and I don't own a gun to shoot it my self would an air rifle help of so dose anyone have one for sale I need help asap I'm in kennoway please please get back to me asap really worried

have you had a look at this thread ..it also works for chickens as well as chicckens  ;)

Topic: weld mesh arch housing for chicckens and other small stock etc. 17 Feb
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 11:13:24 pm »
I'm not sure you would be allowed to use a firearm in an urban location even with a certificate. Isn't there a rule about distance to highways etc? Plus you can bet your arm that someone is going to spot the shooter and the house will surrounded and stormed in seconds.

You need to be further than 50' from the centre of a highway. Any closer than that and as long as you aren't inconveniencing/frightening road users, then there's no problem. A moderated rimfire is very quiet anyway but I take your point if someone saw it and overreacted but from inside a darkened room, quite how they would without night vision, I don't know
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS