Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good quality buff orpington hatching eggs wanted  (Read 4818 times)

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
Good quality buff orpington hatching eggs wanted
« on: February 18, 2014, 06:32:55 pm »
If anyone has any really good quality buff orpingtons and is selling the eggs I would like some. Or if anyone could recommend someone who has good quality stock I'd be grateful. I would also consider growers if I don't have to travel too far, I live in Newton Abbot, south Devon. I don't really trust ebay very much especially when you're paying high prices.
Thanks
Khaki Campbells, call ducks and laying hens in sunny Devon

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Good quality buff orpington hatching eggs wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 09:21:07 pm »
Mine have yet to start laying for the season but I'll have some soon, I hope, and was planning to sell as hatching eggs. The three hens came from Keith's Orps in Berkshire (http://keiths-orps.co.uk/) who has beautiful stock. They're just coming into their second season (i.e. hatched 2012) which I think is why they're later coming into lay - they were laying up until Christmas.

I got the cockerel from Preloved and he was a hatching egg from breeders in Kent. Less prestigious lineage but he's a fine looking boy. He was hatched last year and is a little over exuberant at the moment (currently have one hen in the kitchen to recuperate as he's trodden her sides badly). Happy to send you photos of the group if you want.

Just, as I say, they're not actually laying yet unlike my gold laced orps who are laying their little hearts out so it depends how desperate you are to get going - I'd want to double check fertility first. Otherwise you could straight to Keith's Orps - they're not cheap but his breeding stock is lovely (he doesn't show but he has two pens of buff one for showing, one more utility).

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:00:32 pm »
Thanks HesterF,
Yes I would like some pictures of the buffs and of the gold laced orps (if they're for sale) please. I have got my own trio of buff orpingtons but the cockerel and one of the hens have imperfections in their tails (black streaks) which is really annoying because they're really nice birds otherwise :'(.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 11:57:04 pm »
OK, sorted. Not the best photos - it's hard to get close to the girls at the moment - but hopefully you'll get the gist.

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 08:33:35 am »
They are lovely looking birds Hester!  I may be after some buff Orps from you this year.

I recently went to Steve at Essex orpingtons and was amazed by the quality and quantity of his birds.  It was like Orp heaven!!!  I know he doesnt have eggs available yet but should do next month.  his website is http://www.orpingtonchickens.co.uk/

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 09:02:19 am »
Thanks for the photos,
They look very good quality. What would your prices be for the eggs and postage please?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 11:05:53 pm »
I'm still getting a feel for this so I think £5 for 6 eggs which looks cheaper than most of the crazy eBay prices - will probably do the duck eggs for that price too. It'll actually be good for me to get some feedback on the fertility rates as well.

Looking into P&P, I think I'll probably use Hermes UK who seem a few quid cheaper than Royal Mail (and they pick up from home rather than having to go into the post office) so the total would be about £5 (reckon the egg boxes will be about 50p, a bit of tape and the postage is £4.20).

So £10 for half a dozen. Does that sound fair? Am guessing it would be cheaper per dozen because the postage would be about the same as for half a dozen.

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 06:23:51 pm »
That sounds a reasonable price to me. I'd want a doz. if that's ok. when will they be available?

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 10:05:57 pm »
That's what I'd like to know too! I've been asking them on a daily basis when they plan to start laying again and I'd hope it's soon. Oh, and also hope they lay enough before they go broody for me to test their fertility as well as collect a dozen for you. The hen that's been over trodden is inside and recuperating well but I asked my vet friend to have a look at her today and she confirmed that she has a prolapse too (I did wonder) so has advised not to breed from her (even if she comes back into lay). So I'm down to a nice looking trio which should still produce nice offspring but also limits output!

I can keep you posted on their laying but completely understand if you're impatient to get on with it and go elsewhere!

WoodlandsDevon

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Devon
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 09:27:49 pm »
I do want some of your eggs, I am patient-I won't be able to get any good quality buff orp eggs before the end of March anyway. Just keep me updated as to when you'll be ready to send them.
Thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS