Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted: large black weaners in Devon  (Read 3496 times)

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
Wanted: large black weaners in Devon
« on: February 17, 2014, 07:24:17 pm »
I'm looking to buy 2 'Large Black' weaners. I'm in Devon, and happy to collect within the county. Ideally, looking to collect at 8 weeks, around end of May. Any Devonian pig owners out there?

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
Re: Wanted: large black weaners in Devon
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:38:56 pm »
Haven't seen too many LB breeders in Devon, I only know of a few. Are you looking for pedigree? Pure bred? A farm near me (nr Exeter) breed LBs which are pedigree and prize winning, and another guy I know has (or had) a LB sow who had LB piglets. I can give you their names if you're interested?

If I can sway your view, OSBs are the best!  ;)

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 07:19:14 pm »
Try Viki Mills. I know she used to have LBs, along with several other breeds. If she can't help, she'll know someone in the area, I'm sure. Lovely lady. vikimills@googlemail.com
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 01:37:39 pm »
Thank you both so much, NicAlford1234 & Tudful Tamworths - really useful.

I would like your LB breeders' details if possible.  We're not too bothered about the pedigree perfection - it's just that we introduced ourselves to pigs last summer, with two LB boars, and they were very manageable, and we couldn't look into their eyes so it meant that the ending was easier.  And they were (still are!) delicious...

We don't rule out new experiences - and if we can't sort our timing for the LBs we'll try your (biased!) recommendation!

We'll also try Viki Mills.

Thanks again - first time on the marketplace, very rewarding!

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 10:01:48 pm »
I understand you're not worried about pedigree breeding, but you might find pedigree breeders a good starting point - those involved with a breed know others. Also, pedigree breeders will not be trying to persuade you to buy pedigree stock. We only register the best as pedigree - those that come up to the breed standard - the rest go for meat.
Have a look at the LB breeders' site for details of breeders: http://blackpig.electriclemonmp3.co.uk/

www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 09:13:09 am »
I got my organic weaners from here 2 years ago http://www.percys.co.uk/

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 08:37:06 pm »
So grateful for all replies. I must confess, however, that the OSB promo worked for me..... Did a little research on their temperament (& taste!), and now planning to contribute to Nic's university fund (lol).... Very excited to pick up some weaners in a couple of months!
Very excited!

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 09:55:04 pm »

So grateful for all replies. I must confess, however, that the OSB promo worked for me..... Did a little research on their temperament (& taste!), and now planning to contribute to Nic's university fund (lol).... Very excited to pick up some weaners in a couple of months!
Very excited!

You won't be disappointed! :thumbsup:
Anne

NicAlford1234

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 05:05:51 pm »
now planning to contribute to Nic's university fund (lol)

Hehe! Thanks alot! Sorry to any LB breeders, but who can turn down the offer of ginger spotty piglets?! ;)

horsemadmummy

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 08:00:43 pm »
We are near Exeter and have 70 breeding sows and boars all on rare breed survival trust list from large black osb GOS Berkshire tamworth we normally have around 200 weaners/ growers on site at any one time.  We sell piggies, export to the Chanel Islands and supply pork to retail and hotel customers all over the country.  We always have pigs available and all our pigs regardless of breed are docile friendly etc etc.  We have 4 boars who all live out together with our girls and never fight and are so good natured they lay down to have tummies tiggled and let our three year old sit in them!  Our mummies allow me and children to sit in arks while they farrow and the kids to cuddle their piglets from birth.  Our herd is only the second rare breed herd in the country to have official high health herd status - the other one supplies only marks and spencer.

All our pigs live outside in family groups and are very hairy (and muddy)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:04:35 am by horsemadmummy »

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 05:42:59 pm »
Thanks horsemadmummy. I guess we'll be visiting you in 2015 - sounds like a lovely, happy set up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS