Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: **Wanted** Mule or Donkey. Surrey  (Read 2981 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
**Wanted** Mule or Donkey. Surrey
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:00:35 pm »
Hello,

I am looking for a pair of mules or donkeys to be kept along side my flock of sheep. Not fussed with age within reason, colour but would prefer not to have a stallion as long as they are healthy. A hatred of dogs is a big plus!  :thumbsup:

Wouldn't mind having something to bring on into driving or something already broken.

5* experienced home awaits! Willing to travel a couple of hours from surrey.

lizzypeg

• Joined Oct 2012
Re: **Wanted** Mule or Donkey. Surrey
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 09:51:13 pm »
silly question but wouldn't an alpaca pair work better for sheep guarding as they are used for that in there home country...

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:00:54 pm »
remember although mules are infertile, the boys still need gelding as they still act like stallions if left intact.

http://www.britishmulesociety.co.uk
im sure there is a facebbok page too.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 10:25:13 pm »
Few reasons why I don't want alpacas,

1. They are expensive to buy
2. They aren't as social as horse like animals
3. I can't get an alpaca to pull a cart
4. Not as enjoyable for me!

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 01:59:29 am »
Our Donkeys hated dogs, they would chase them and try to Bite/stamp on them even though they had always known the dogs. They where by no means good with the sheep either, twice we caught they chasing the sheep around . fist time it was just chasing the second time it was definite trying to stamp on them. they where instantly separated.
They detested the goats too the point they would charge up and down the fence when the goats where out
It got too the point we could not have any other animals in the fields even just moving other animals through a field they where in became dangerous  this was the deciding factor that they had to be rehomed
Graham

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 01:40:27 pm »
My friend breeds donkeys but although they arent good with dogs, they arent any good with sheep either, they tended to run them ragged!! and kick/stomp at them.

You can pick up male alpacas from the bigger alpaca farms that have not been registered for around £150 each and they make much better flock guards as they are actively are protecting the sheep rather then just going for the dog (and the sheep!!)

But if you want something to pull a cart then no idea!!

Good luck :)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 10:39:00 am »
We've changed our mind and are going for Llama's now!!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2014, 09:40:39 pm »
Why not try a Bosnian sheep guard dog ---( called a Tonjak or something similar I think)

I came across them in central Bosnia and nothing would get near their flock

larrylamb

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2014, 11:52:02 pm »
Llamas good idea very easy to handle and not to pricey not sure how good a guard mine are ok with my dog.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 07:10:30 pm »
You can get entire male llamas cheap. We had one and he was incredibly protective towards the sheep. So much so that he used to get upset when we took the fat lambs out of the field to market. He used to cry when the trailer of lambs left the field.
However, I also have a female mule and she is better as she doesn't try and stop me getting near the sheep as the lama did, and is very maternal towards the lambs. Neither she (nor any of my female donkeys) has ever attempted to chase the sheep, and she is quite capable of stamping on a strange dog.
I have had my sheep chased by a male mule and by my jack donkey, so assume this is more a problem with the males.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS