Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel recommendations?  (Read 14436 times)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Polytunnel recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 03:37:43 pm »
Our First Tunnel (smallest commercial size) has been up for over 7 years now, it gets pretty windy here, but no problems at all. Still the first lot of plastic on it, no tears only a few holes in the bottom where the rats/mice/voles have decided to make an entrance    >:(, but yes would go for them again, and we went with all the possible stabilising bits and pieces we could get. Ours survived the two heavy winters recently where we had a good few feet of snow dumped on it, and many in the area just collapsed.... but really wind and actually snow is your biggest enemy - stronger bars mean it doesn't buckle quite so quick.

So spend the money now and then you can relax.

PS.: Make sure you get it put up properly though!

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 07:50:48 pm »
 And another happy customer :thumbsup:
We bought a secondhand First Tunnel, and even managed to save and re-use the cover (so mean ::) ).  They supplied all the extra bits we needed , great service.
I can't believe it has withstood the recent storms, we are on the top of a hill less than 1 mile from the coast.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 07:58:50 pm »
I am so sending this thread to first tunnels, we all deserve a commission :D

Bob Ayers

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2014, 12:58:27 pm »
Hi
We bought a second hand First Tunnels, 20 foot model in the Autumn. We had to dismantle it and rebuild it at home. The installation we removed, we thought was a bit over the top, with the ground tubes wedged and screwed into sunken lengths of scaffold pole. Removal was hard work, to put it mildly!
We put it up just before the Great Storm in October on a slightly sheltered part of our place, just as we had removed it. We bought some odds and sods from First Tunnels after studying their free installation videos on their website. They were a joy to deal with and the videos, superb
The tunnel has survived some horrific storms since then and i cannot recommend the structure highly enough
Good luck with your research
Bob

mattswanathome

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 12:33:57 pm »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! It certainly seems that First Tunnels come out top based on this sample. I will be choosing them.

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 09:53:06 am »
I'm finalising my polytunnel specification and wanted to open up this thread one more time to see if any company other than First Polytunnels gets a look-in. I haven't looked into their range yet, but had short listed two other companies.

Highland Polytunnels do a range of extra strong tunnels that have 50mm hoops and are clearly aimed at those of us who expect strong and frequent winds throughout the year. They supply their kits with everything I think I need plus a choice of covering.

Premier Polytunnels offer theirs as a basic that you select options for, and although they use thinner hoops, they do offer double sliding doors, and adding all the extras puts them up to a similar price as Highland.

Does anybody have any experience with either of these?

I'm considering a 14' x 30' at the moment, although I might go a little bigger. It's just for extra growing, not commercial crops.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 11:33:51 am »
In the first reply to this thread I mention that mine is a Northern Polytunnels.  It has done us proud and we can get some scary winds here.
I have no experience of Highland but their spec sounds similar to NP  Go for the sturdiest you can get.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 03:11:31 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 12:56:12 pm »
I had read the whole thread but Northern got lost in the tidal wave of First customers. I'll go have a look at them as well.

We get the wind coming down off the Cairngorm National Park so you can imagine what'd happen to a 25mm garden variety. I was planning on nothing less than 40mm.

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2014, 01:46:40 pm »

I'm considering a 14' x 30' at the moment, although I might go a little bigger. It's just for extra growing, not commercial crops.

I think the 14' wide domestic tunnels from FirstTunnels use 35mm hoops.  The others in the domestic range use 25mm I think.  Commericals are 50mm. 

We live in a bit of a wind tunnel ourselves but have found the 14' wide from FirstTunnels to be have lasted well.  We do get a fair bit of movement in the frame but no sign or damage or premature wear and tear.  Having said that we are planning to re-site them this year for other reasons, and when I do I will add some additional braces similar in design to their commercial model to add a bit more rigidity.

County Dangler

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 02:46:37 pm »
Yesterday i finished construction of our commercial range 24 x 72 premier polytunnel and i cant say anything other then that i am very pleased with it. It's rock solid. Having never built a tunnel before i couldn't say if it's better or worse then any other but i can't see how any tunnel could be stronger then this. We went for a timer base rail, upgraded cover, crop bars, storm strengthening kit and triple ridge kit. I took pictures throughout the process if anyone wants any further details? For what it cost (circa £3k inc vat) it seems very good value for money too.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:49:03 pm by County Angler »

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 06:45:32 pm »
I saw the photos of the frame going up. Big job, eh?

Foel Isaf

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Gwynedd
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 04:18:39 pm »
Being in the market for two commercial sized polytunnels I had looked at several suppliers, thanks to all the positive testimonials First Tunnels will be getting another customer, thanks

Dreich Pete

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 06:39:36 pm »
Yup. I spent an hour last night doing a comparison, and with the resounding contentment of the customers on here it looks like First will be getting my business too. The only one that came close was Gighland with their 50mm frame tubing, but the reality is that with a good anchoring and an extra couple of ridge bars 35mm should more than cope with a couple of winter gales. Thanks to everyone here for their input.

Rainyplace

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 02:35:38 pm »
Hi DP,
just reading through this thread and wondering how you got on with your poly tunnel purchase? Did you go with First Tunnels and are you pleased with it?
Just researching as hoping to buy in next few weeks.
Thanks

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 02:39:32 pm »
I took a good look at the Haygrove Tunnels stand at the Royal Three Counties last year- looked solid as a rock.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS