Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel recommendations?  (Read 14434 times)

mattswanathome

• Joined Jul 2013
Polytunnel recommendations?
« on: February 16, 2014, 05:40:34 pm »
Hi,

I'm planning to get a polytunnel (size about 14' by 48') and would welcome any advice on where to buy it.

First Tunnels (http://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/) seems popular but quite expensive - nearly £1000 even without the optional extras (crop bar, sliding door, ground fixing kit etc)

Direct Plants (http://www.directplants.co.uk/) offer a similar sized one for about £700, much cheaper! It seems the piping is only 26mm diameter compared to First Tunnel's 35mm, I don't know if this is really significant?

Anyone had any experience with either of these suppliers or any others?

Or do you have one you'd like to sell me? :-) I'm based in mid Wales.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Polytunnel recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 08:34:24 pm »
You gets what you pays for!    False economy to go for a cheaper option but accept lower spec.  The flimsy hoop diameter means that in a big wind your tunnel can fold up in a twisted heap past resuscitation.  If you live somewhere very sheltered which doesn't get wind, or you are getting a tiny 8'x10' model, then fair enough.  I live in a windy area where my Northern Polytunnels tunnel (7m x 14m / 21' x 42') has survived 100mph winds.  We have all the extras to make it as strong as possible, obviously including the chunky hoops.  We also have crop bars which add some stability as well as being useful, plus corner bracers and triangular bracers from the roof ridge down to the sides at each end.  The bolts need to be checked after every big wind, especially for the first couple of years.
You can economise by making your own doors and louvres, which is what we did, but I understand that now all doors are aluminium as opposed to wood so probably no advantage to make those.
You could have mesh which rolls down instead of doors but really only practicable in summer, so you would need doors for the winter anyway.
The real cost of a polytunnel is from all the bits and pieces.  The frame itself is a fair price, the cover is not too bad, but all the hinges, clips, antihotspottape, louvres, doors and so on multiply the cost up a whole lot.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 09:50:19 pm »
We are really impressed with our first tunnels tunnel. We are in north wales 1000ft+ up on a very exposed hillside we had minds of over 80mph on Wednesday last week and our tunnel didn't move! We went for all the extras, storm bars,upgrade, crop bars etc and were glad we did. When we had only just put it up we had 3ft of snow fall - it survived! We built ours ourselves and it wasn't difficult and the customer service from first tunnels is great. We have now bought a second one - that's how much we like it!!

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:37:44 am »
Another thumbs up for first tunnels. We bought one of their commercial models and put it up last year. Great product, great customer service, reasonable instructions!

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 09:51:53 am »
yet another satisfied 1st tunnel user here. We also went for all the additional support figuring it's the kind of thing you only really do once, so may as well do it right. While not as exposed as some, it's still pretty exposed but hasn't budged an inch in the 2 years we've had it.

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 10:23:27 am »
Defiantly first tunnels.I got the thermal skin and after 5 years not showing any UV or weather issue, only holes are those caused by me. I even installed it on my own.

Just wish I went for the widest option.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 10:33:26 am »
Just wish I went for the widest option.

^^ This. We did go for the wider (16ft commercial) one and it has a much better profile than the domestic models, with more upright sides, and you get 50mm tubes rather than 35mm tubes.

Yes, it adds to the up-front cost, but spread across a 20 year lifespan for the frame it's buttons per day.

Stellan Vert

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2014, 11:12:56 am »
Hi

I am another first tunnels enthusiast.

We had a 14 by 28 with all the bits. Good instruction manual. Good website. No problems to erect or since. Has been up 4 years.

SV.

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2014, 01:36:53 pm »
A vote for First Tunnels here too.  I actually have one for sale at the moment but probably a bit far to ship it.  Hopefully upgrading to a larger version.

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 03:23:03 pm »
Another first tunnels vote  :thumbsup: .

mattswanathome

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 10:15:48 pm »
blimey I thought First Tunnels was popular but this is ridiculous!  Are there any dissenting voices at all out there?

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts so far. If they really are so far ahead of the competition then I guess I'd better start breaking the other piggy banks.

rkardo

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 10:46:37 pm »
Just taking advantage of the momentum here...
Does anyone know if it would be legally possible to build a walipini or pit greenhouse in the UK?

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 11:00:37 pm »
After recommendations I opted for Northern Polytunnels. It is only a  small version (10x8 ) Wasn't disappointed at all. it has withstood full force winds and not budged.
It was a TAS member who praised them for storm sturdiness. Only on the 2nd year so far but still as new in a very exposed position :thumbsup:

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 07:28:44 am »
A vote for First Tunnels here too.  I actually have one for sale at the moment but probably a bit far to ship it.  Hopefully upgrading to a larger version.

so where are you,  what size and how much?  (please)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 11:03:09 am »
We went with first tunnels years ago. A couple of years back we decided to add crop bars and I mentioned that I needed some more anti-hot spot tape as not enough had been supplied when we bought it. They sent me two rolls FOC, even though I was fully prepared to pay for it because it was seven years since we bought the tunnel and I believed I should have told them at the time. They also sent me two free books about polytunnel gardening!
Their after sales and customer care is second to none and their product is outstanding, don't waste your money on any other brand if you are buying new.
Every year I wash the inside of the cover with a soft broom and washing soda to remove any algae growth and it comes up looking like a new tunnel. Buy the anti-fog covers because they don't go cloudy and stay nice and clear. The annual washing ensures maximum light levels for a longer growing season, which we need up here in Banffshire.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS