Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: heptovac - lambivac  (Read 2913 times)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
heptovac - lambivac
« on: February 15, 2014, 12:04:27 pm »
Our Ryelands have been on Heptivac  before we got them , the next dose is due in april. we use lambivac for the goats so would like to swap the sheep over, how/when is the best way to do this . They are due to lamb in May
Graham

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: heptovac - lambivac
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 06:38:23 pm »
Depending on how many sheep you have got I would be tempted to keep them on the two different vaccines. However if less than 10 sheep you are probably just as well lambivaccing the sheep. I would do the double-dose, so 6 weeks before lambing for 1st one and the 2 weeks before 2nd one.

You then have to think what to do about pasteurella, but I do my goats on Ovipast separately. My sheep are on Heptavac.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 07:30:29 pm »
Lambivac  and   Heptavac are essentially  the same product in that one covers  3 clostridial diseases  and the second the same 3 plus   4 more and pasteurella  , so all you need to do is give lambivac  one dose as a pre lambing booster .    While the decision is yours if you are a farm with a fluke problem then  not protecting against  Black Disease ( in heptavac p  ) may not be ideal, also as said  pasteurella  is a big killer of sheep so needs consideration ( in heptavac p )

farm club

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 07:26:58 pm »
Hi I am about to start my sheep on the heptovac p system. I have 6 in lamb ewes,due the end of March and 14 gimmer lambs from last year. Do I inject them all now then again in 4-6 weeks , also do I do the new lambs at 3 weeks old then give them the same at 4-6 weeks ? Thanks Mike.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 12:48:04 pm »
YES and YES  although better to do all the lambs together when the youngest  is over 3wks keeps life simple

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS