Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Transit connects - any thoughts, experiences, opinions etc?  (Read 3215 times)

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
Transit connects - any thoughts, experiences, opinions etc?
« on: February 14, 2014, 12:21:03 pm »
We are in need of a new (to us) vehicle and looking at what we think we need we have concluded that a car van may be the ideal option for us. Been looking around, and I've pretty much discounted anything made by the French and Italians and Vauxhall, which narrows our choice down to things like transit connects and VW Caddy (or whatever it's called). Transits tend to be much thicker on the ground second hand and about a grand cheaper, so that could be our preferred option. Is this wise or are they a howler waiting to happen?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Transit connects - any thoughts, experiences, opinions etc?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 01:48:57 pm »
We have 2006 transit connect, given a hard life and many miles by OH, he's replaced it with a vauxhall Astra van and I get the ford.
maybe because now it isn't used much it has developed lots of problems, mainly to do with brakes (I think he had drum brakes as an option at new), and the bearings sound BAD, + oil or deisel leak, scrap value now I think. Shame, I actually like it.
But it has been great for moving things, big enough to get most things in but not too clumsy to park etc.
I'll have a word with him tonight and get his opinion.
So - are they a grand cheaper because of the numbers available or is the VW worth another thou  :thinking: .
(Had I real scare a few weeks ago, slight amount of snow, thought I'd risk a steep hill rather than all the miles into town and back out on the lower road, driving slow but it started just sliding, brakes had no effect, heading for a hairpin bend - luckily there was a farmtrack going up to the left and I managed to swing it in there, sat shaking for a while, but had to get home, hens were still out, couldn't go back up, so had to carry on down, 4x4 had gone passed, he'd hit the bend. I did get down eventually, stlll shaking when I got home - I'll go round next time.)
Sorry about all that, thinking of the van brought it all back :relief:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 04:16:24 pm »
I would look at reno kango car all parts are cheap i use 3 geabox went 75 pound and 1 afternoon .Good points disable people use them so a lot low milage the 2003 one has 20800 miles on it. I will do all berings soon 15 pound wheel bering .

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 11:09:03 pm »
I would question why you rule out French vans. They are so widely used in France, that they are reliable. They seem to be the vehicle of choice for many people in rural Europe. I had a small Citroen (like the berlingo, but the earlier model), 1.8lt Diesel engine, capable of towing, could get loads in the back.

When we eventually stopped using it (bought a bigger ford transit), it sat outside for 6 months before we scrapped it. When the scrappy came to pick it up, he stared doubtfully at it, as it had a flat tyre and had gone green from the pine trees, so it looked awful. Got into it and it started first turn of the key, engine beautifully sound. 

Beth

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:20:50 am »
OH liked his Connect better than the Astra he now drives, when he bought it there was an option on the brakes, normal was drum, he had disc, but he thinks disc is now standard, he never had any mechanical bother with it, sailed through MOT's, only in the recent year or so while it's been stood more we've had problems with brakes sticking, which he says wouldn't have happened with drum. but it is stood out in all weathers and sometimes isn't used for a few weeks.
He's had a Kangoo and wouldn't have another, he was doing a lot of miles but thinks it went through tyres too quick, and just generally not impressed, it did seem to be down at the garage a lot.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 06:06:01 am »
I have a Vauxhall Vivaro 1.9. Brilliant van which has been very reliable. Used it for holidays to France when it returned 42mpg. Does about 32mpg loaded on short journeys. Pulling a 2 ton trailer it drops to 25mpg though. It is essentially a Renault Traffic, which almost all the tradesmen use in this part of France. Perhaps worth a bit more consideration MikeM. But when I was looking for one there were some really dodgy items for sale that had been used for courier deliveries. I worked for LDV for 5 years so know enough about vans to pick a good one.

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 07:24:27 am »
I've had bad experiences with a French van. Had a citroen C15D on which the engine was built like a tank but the rest of it made from tissue paper. That said, my dad had a Peugeot and that was still going strong after 10 years so maybe they'll be ok.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2014, 07:03:43 pm »
That's what mine was, a Citroen C15D, ours was a great van. Have got friends with a connect and they say it is good.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS