Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Face book - yeah - or - nay  (Read 6396 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Face book - yeah - or - nay
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:11:09 am »
Victorian Farmer was showing me his Facebook page yesterday, and i\ tempted to join.  Someone has been saying there is nowhere to put comments on my web site, and although I want to change it all around sometime I need to be somewhere in one place to concentrate.

What are the downsides of Facebook?  Say someone posted a really horrid comment , can one take it down, or do you just have to look at it day after day.  I know nothing about Facebook!
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Face book - yeah - or - nay
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:14:41 am »
you have control and can delete stuff

you can limit who see's stuff as well so only people you accept as friends could see what you post.

there are plenty of TASers on there.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:20:13 am »
Sometimes you get nasty stuff but as David says you can delete it from your own page, but not if it's on someone else's - but you can hide it, and stop any notifications from anyone and also block them,  Only agree to be friends with people you know or are good friends of theirs and it should be fine.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 09:55:02 am »
i liked facebook but i let my friends list get too big and it got impersornal so i closed it down.
keep it to close friends and its great.

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 10:03:38 am »
I'm very selective with my "friends" on FB. The ones I have now are survivors of a friends cull from a few weeks ago. you will attract a lot of false friends to begin with , I started my own "Group" a few months ago membership is by invite only , it is for my real friends only, no one else can see what is posted on there, very exclusive. so I have total control of what gets posted.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 10:12:32 am »
It's a bit of a two edged coin; you get to hear everyone's news, stuff that might not have crossed your radar any other way, but you also have to look at lots of drivel too. I don't understand why people think I want to see a photo of their dinner for instance, what's that all about?
On the whole, if you just pop in now and then and check the pages of people you want to keep up with it can be really useful. I send messages to my girls through FB because it comes up on their mobile phones as a text.
 You could start a page for your journal or the Marans website so you can answer questions and just stay focussed on the content of those pages.
If I had to sum Facebook up in one line I'd say 'Biggest time waster in my day'' but only because I spend too much time reading pointless stuff instead of staying focussed.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:00:22 am »
Depends how you use it Darkbrowneggs.

I have only my sister as a "friend" on it, so all i get is her updates/pictures but I use it mainly for groups.

You can join or create all sorts of groups, I have one for Scots Grey Chickens and i'm a member of many more poultry/livestock and other active groups that i'm interested in which is very handy.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:35:30 am »
I think Facebook is a bit like life - you get the good, the bad, and the people who just drone on and on and on .....

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:41 am »
It strengthens friendships and it shows you the dark side of people! Some people use it as a diary, others may use it to bully people with snide comments. its down to you who you add, who you keep and who you put on your restricted list (so they can't really see much of what you post!)
I'm still on tizaala's friends list - yay, means I'm special  :excited:  I think we both deleted many of the same falsies hey, matey?? x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 12:20:03 pm »
I only use it very selectively. I have just a few friends on there and it works well for that. If I get as friends request from someone I don't know I decline. Why would someone want to be 'friends' with someone they don't know?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 12:22:18 pm »
Yeah, its great for putting you in touch with people you never really wanted to talk to in the first place!  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 02:25:00 pm »
I love it - I've got in touch with folk I was at school with, keep in touch with folk I worked with, see folk from TAS, see businesses I'm interested in (and not) and "met" new people

It doesn't replace "real' friends but I have made FB friends that have become real friends, bit like TAS in some respects.

There's some crap out there, on FB, TAS and real life but you just have to filter it out.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 03:48:14 pm »
I keep in touch with my friends and family on it. Even my 82 year old mother uses it.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 05:02:20 pm »
a friend once said to me - people will talk to you on facebook but blank you in the street. its true.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 05:04:47 pm »
a friend once said to me - people will talk to you on facebook but blank you in the street. its true.

very true!!!  especially, i've found, if you have school aged children. The playground posse's will be your friend on fb but blank you in 'real life'  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS