Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cuts of pork  (Read 4454 times)

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
Cuts of pork
« on: September 17, 2009, 09:07:30 am »
The first of my pigs will be going on her holidays on Thursday of next week so Ive between now and then to organise what cuts of pork I want.  This is the first time I have done this and everything else has gone really well just to decide on what I want back.  I definitely want a roast or two (if you can get two!) and some chops - and maybe a pork steak but after that I'm not really sure.  If anyone can advise me on what they normally get from their pigs I can see from there on what else I would like.  Thank ye all!   :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Cuts of pork
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 09:34:46 am »
THere's already a thread about this in Pigs - it might be called "what do I ask for". The website of QMS Quality Meat SCotland has some good information too.

chickenfeed

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:40:11 am »
 :) our slaughterhouse is next to the butchers so we went to the butchers on our 1st visit and talked it through with him but you will get plenty of roasts out of a pig.
i have been on a butchery course this week and learnt the old cut as well as the new seam cutting methods i think i still preffer the old cuts on the bone for added flavour but thats just me.
you will not want to go back to any other pork after you taste your own thats for sure.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:45:20 am »
 :pig: :yum:. My pigs also go on holidays.(much better for delicate ears). I have two at the butchers now. They will become shoulder joints, leg joints and belly joints.(boned rolled and the skin scored) chops, steaks and a tenderloin. hocks trotters and heads for slow boiling and then brawn making. liver and kidney. and heaps of sausage. you can have loin joints which are fab but you loose chops. also, because I had more friends wanting pork than I had pigs. I have had to sell in quarters and have had no spare for bacon or hams. Tell the butcher how you want to eat the pork and ask him which cuts he can do to suit you. I like to hold back a large joint or two for social occasions. (slow cooked for ages till falling apart and left for folk to make up sandwiches with home made chutneys and relishes). but also have smaller cuts for when there is just three of us eating. Sausages tend to use up the cuts which get left in the corners of the freezer because your not sure what they are.

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 02:17:55 pm »
 :pig:Thanks very much guys!!  I have quite mixed emotions with the pigs going off, on one hand I cant wait to taste their meat and on the other hand I will most definitely miss them.   :-\  They were really no bother at all to rear (bar the one or two times they broke out but they were never a problem getting back in and refencing after!!).  Their personalities are just fab, the ex-commercial pig is a sweetheart, always comes running first when she knows I'm around but does not like to be rubbed whereas on the other hand the two GOS are always looking for a tummy scratch!!  I had no problem brining our lamb to the abattoir, he turned out to be quite boisterous towards the end so with his departure I had more freedom with the pigs and the hens.   :sheep: :pig: :chook:

My ex-commercial pig is the first to go.  She grew quite quick but she would have been a bit older than the boys.  They will follow on in about four/five weeks time.  Ill let ye know if there is a difference in the meat between the two different breeds, but I hope not!  :pig:

Will definitely rear pigs again next year so we will be off organising things a bit differently for the next lot!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 02:26:11 pm »
Hi yes its definatley a time of mixed emotions! you cannot beat the taste of home grown pork you wont be dissappointed! dont be too down when you take them in just think what a great time they had with you, and you with them! and look forward to the next bunch of time wasters!! ;D

Lucky

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 04:50:26 pm »
Hi...we did all our cutting at home, we where lucky enough to have a mobile butcher in the area, top chap.  So we learnt how to cut up the pig ourselves, i found it interesting.  Also we where then able to make a selection of sausages and bacon...which is always an added bonus. And i agree you will never be able to buy nasty pork after you have done your own....enjoy the experience! :yum:

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 07:24:03 pm »
just think what a great time they had with you, and you with them!

Hmm, all very well in theory, but when I brought my father to the abatoir......well let's just say they were having none of it !!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 07:26:32 pm by sausagesandcash »

Lucky

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 01:33:23 pm »
Hhmmmm...not sure what you mean....who wasn't having any of what?????!!!! ???

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 03:37:07 pm »
S&C is this a new and novel way of getting rid of unwanted octogenarians?

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 02:20:28 am »
Well, HM, he'd had a good life ...........  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 09:39:32 pm »
Zeut wish I had thought of that ...... 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS