Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: just a quick hello  (Read 3293 times)

chickenfeed

just a quick hello
« on: September 16, 2009, 07:58:25 am »
 :) just thought it about time i said hello and just let you all know a little about me. my name is kim im in my 40's but stopped counting at 37 i was brought up on a farm, my parents have a smallholding with a herd of dairy goats they have shown them all over the country for the last 35 ish years. they also keep a few cattle and lost count of the chickens. well i saw they had some spare land and this year expanded my chickens to chickens and rare breed pigs. it great as an arrangement i keep my pigs there in a swap for looking after all the stock while they are on the show circuit. suits us fine at the moment but not quite decided if we should get our own land yet or not (dessisions are not easy for me) :pig:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: just a quick hello
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 09:14:22 am »
Hi and welcome. We have a few goat fanciers on here. What kind of pigs do you breed? and Where are you?

chickenfeed

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 11:39:52 am »
 :pig: as of yet not breeding pigs trying to talk mum in gently she's not keen but this time last year she said no pigs so who knows.
i have british lops, oxford sandy and blacks and some new saddleback's we also tried tamworths but am not so keen on them. its hard to do what we want because i have to rely on my parents as its their land about 6 miles from me.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 10:48:04 pm »
Hiya,

Who are your mum and dad? Or if you don't want to put their names on here, what kind of goats do they show, and what is their prefix? I might not know them personally but might well know of them.

I live near Falkirk and my family and I breed and show as well. We mostly go to shows in Scotland but the occasional one in the north of England. I have Anglo- nubians, but we also have (from other members of the family) British Alpine, British Toggenburg, and AOV's.

I'm sure your mum can be convinced to get some breeding pigs.

Beth

chickenfeed

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 07:23:20 am »
hi
they breed bt's and aov their prefix is anjo as for the pigs mums heals are well and truly dug in at the moment.
but who knows dad retires next year so they intend to do more shows so i will have a better hand to deal with. :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 07:50:21 am »
It took me 3 years to convince other half that I should have pigs.  He said yes, and literally before he could change his mind again (24 hours)  I had found 4 piglets (a pretty herculean task in France 5 years ago).So patience, patience, patience it will come.

sandy

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 08:10:28 pm »
Hello, from me, welcome to the forum!!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 09:02:55 pm »
I'm sure you can tempt them into the venture with some delicious sausages and bacon!!  Welcome to the site!

chickenfeed

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 09:48:59 pm »
 :pig: she had the sausage and bacon last week still digging her heals in i think its a case of been there done that and 20 + years have past she just does not want to go back there.
she visited a farm yesterday and came back with 3 calfs so busy bottle feeding one is 1 month one is 12 days and the other 6 days, so less space for my pigs :o

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 10:05:45 pm »
Ah sounds like you have a mountain to climb!!!!  Good Luck!

HappyHippy

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 10:21:58 am »
Hello from me  ;D
The cows won't be there forever, like Hilarys mum said - patience ! I can sympathise though, parents mums are stubborn  ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS