Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sad lonely goat :(  (Read 11769 times)

amesy

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: Sad lonely goat :(
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2014, 01:01:17 am »
Thanks everyone! I've picked him up some shreds and he had a few tonight. He wasn't overly impressed until I soaked them then they went down brilliantly. I shall definitely look into a drench, hopefully it will pick him up. He has had justgrass before but he wasn't overly keen. For whatever reasons he's never been a grass grazer. He will have cut branches for the leaves but never grass. We see church house vets in St Neots as they've always treated them but they said aside his weight he's perfectly healthy. Ely might be a bit far to transport him as I'm the st Neots side of Cambridge, but I'll bear that in mind in an emergency.

Thanks again everyone :) fingers crossed the beats will do the trick.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 11:51:04 pm »
Glad he liked them and hopefully he will start picking up very soon.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 01:12:34 am »
I'd forgotten we get sacks of pony carrots, I wonder if he'd like them? I presume if there are horse keepers around there the feed mechants will sell them?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 08:10:27 pm »
I'm sure he'll love them ... cut into "batons" so there's no risk of choking, or him chucking on the floor and refusing to then eat them, like my fussy lot do!
Little Blue

amesy

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 10:19:37 pm »
He does have carrots but he has this thing where he will only eat fruit and veg if its cut up really really small - if it's in large chunks he will ignore them but if they're in little cubes then he goes crazy for them....in all honesty I'm not sure he's a real goat, far too fussy and particular - though I suppose I'm as much to blame for catering to him.

His caprivite has arrived - smells yummy! and he's definitely a fan - but thanks for the tip - I usually buy him carrots from the supermarkets - never clicked just to get pony ones! Thanks guys :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 12:58:59 am »
years ago at a show I bought a gadget for the kitchen, a plastic board (12-15" long?)with a blade set in diagonally, with 3 smaller boards you slot in with little blades in them, so when you slid the veg or fruit down the board it ran through the little blades and against the long blade. makes chips and thin slices and batons etc. never used it till i came here and had more animals. even cuts veg small enough to give the geese a bit extra fodder in bad weather.
But its great for makinga pile of carrot 'thick matchsticks' to throw in with the goats food, no chance of them choking on that (always a worry the speed they guzzle things down)
sorry - long description for the gadget but I don't know what they are called.

amesy

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 08:37:02 pm »
That would save a lot of time having to cube it all for his lordship. I will keep an eye out!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 10:47:56 pm »
I know what you mean PHB. I think I might get one because it takes me an age to chop carrots for my girls. Actually, these goats aren't so mad about carrots. they like them but won't eat many. My previous goat could wolf down about eight good sized carrots without thinking about it.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 10:51:40 pm »
I've been looking on ebay, I think the are called 'mandolins' but nothing quite like mine.
There again, a food processor with a coarse grater is even quicker if just adding it at feed time  ;D
(Doesn't look as interesting tempting? tho)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 11:32:49 pm »
I don't have a food processor so that's out. I tend to offer them separately. Mine have concentrates mixed with sugar beet in one bucket and readigrass and/or vegetables in another.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 09:19:08 pm »
Mandolins are fab!
 Just mind your fingers... very. very sharp!!
Little Blue

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 11:20:47 am »
Mandolins are fab!
 Just mind your fingers... very. very sharp!!
YES!
While looking to check what it was called, google came up with 'images of', this included some nasty looking holes in fingers, so if anyone gets one - ALWAYS use the guard! (unlike OH who thought he knew better), luckily it was only a bad cut, which I managed to stop bleeding, rather than a chunk out.
But they're also good for apples, cheap/rough cabbages etc which bulks out the feed, holding it over a bowl rather than messing a chopping board up.
Mine was the 'Borner' type, but must have been an early one, not the price they are now!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS