Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tup left in or out of lambing shed?  (Read 2371 times)

Julie T

• Joined Feb 2014
Tup left in or out of lambing shed?
« on: February 01, 2014, 07:43:47 pm »
Hi All,
Decided on housing my flock as the field they were in was almost under water. Not big flock; 7 ewes and a tup. I decided today to take the tup out of the lambing shed and put him back in the field as I was a bit worried that when it comes to lambing (4 weeks time) he might do something stupid! That said if this is unlikely I'd like to put him back in as it broke my heart to send him out there on his own.
Can anyone please give me some advice.
Thanks in advance

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Tup left in or out of lambing shed?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 07:55:40 pm »
can you not make him a pen with gates in the shed?

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 08:01:23 pm »
Aww  :'( made me feel a little sad!! I know plenty of people who leave the ram in until after all the ewes have lambed then whip them out. I doubt he will do anything, Could you make a little pen when they are closer to lamb?

:raining: Poor chap

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:15:46 pm »
I agree, if he has no company I would make a pen in with ewes. Go on, don't be mean!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2014, 08:41:07 pm »
Ye, he cant do any harm in a pen with them in the shed  :thumbsup:

Julie T

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2014, 09:06:21 pm »
thanks everyone for the good advice- I really appreciate it. Just been out in the pooring rain to bring him back in. I'm now soaked but  I'm sure he's delighted to be back in with his girls nice and dry! As suggested if he does become a little troublesome then I'll put a pen together for him in the lambing shed.
Thanks again

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 10:32:42 pm »
I used to pen each of my little flock separately - the sheep all used the same pen each time without being trained and the ram slept in the corridor once the pen gates were shut.  In the day they all went out together, though I usually kept in the mums with new borns for a day or so, and a bit longer if the weather was foul.  By penning them individually it made it easy to see who was eating well and also the ram or bossy ewes didnt get more their fair share of the good stuff
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS