Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scot EID  (Read 3993 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Scot EID
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:17:12 am »
Can anyone tell me what the info on the ScotEID database really does get used for?  We registered ages ago (more than 3 years) but have never used it. 

Now we have pigs, we have had to take more interest and learn to use it, and out of interest just had a look at what was down as our sheep holding register, and am really confused!  There are movements on there that never happened, movements not there that should be etc., and I am not sure what to do. 

I know I should probably ring them and ask for advice, but I can just imagine the whole palaver that would start, probably ending up in us getting in trouble for something we've not done.  I guess what I am wondering is does it really matter?  Our holding register we keep at home is spot on, I am a bit obsessed with it, and I am annoyed that this data is held about us that is inaccurate. 

One example is, back in September, my husband hauled 40 lambs to a mart for a neighbour.  They were not sold, and he hauled them back again to the farm they came from.  The movement licence was correctly filled in by our neighbour (I have checked it, although he was hardly going to write our holding number instead of his own), but on ScotEID, these lambs are recorded as leaving OUR farm, and coming back to our neighbour's.  I assume this was incorrectly entered at the mart, who maybe have just looked at the face of the person handing in the licence and made the assumption (although OH did say where they were from), or glanced very briefly at the licence and saw OHs name/vehicle reg down as haulier and assumed from that.

I want things to be right, but I can't face triggering loads of inspections and trouble - we have absolutely nothing to hide, but still they take ages, and I also don't want to get someone else into loads of trouble for what is probably just a simple clerical error.  Maybe I am overthinking this and I should just ignore it and monitor that things are correct from now on?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Scot EID
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 10:57:07 am »
I feel for you  :hug: I'm like you, a bit paranoid about paperwork with a huge fear of ending up in the pokey. I'd probably start using the ScotEID and phone them and get it sorted. I do the pigs (two weaners a year so not complicated) and the cattle electronically . I got myself in a bit of a muddle with the cattle because we have temporary grazing that is linked - I phoned then and they were very helpful.

I've stuck to paper for the sheep - with our small numbers and very few movements, it's easier. We had two movements last year - a barren ewe to a pet home and eight tup lambs to slaughter  :)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 06:55:14 pm »
 I really wouldn't stress about it  iv'e used  it now for 3 yrs and mistakes  happen regularly  ,often a call to the mart 2or3 times sorts it , some times it needs scot eid  to sort it and a couple of times iv'e had to get a letter saying the electricity was off or the machine was not working  ,   even now about 10% of the movements have a red flag warning .  any private sales I have to put in via my computer .     For me scot eid means I don't have to record hundreds of individual numbers  often sold in several  lots in the movement book .      IF you are inspected then  the information stored should help OR  NOT  :sunshine:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 07:37:19 pm »
Thanks, shep, I feel a bit better now.  I think looking at three years of errors was rather scary, so I will just try to correct the one mistake in 2014, and keep it right from now on.  Our own system with our Shearwell stock recorder is grand, I wonder if I can directly upload from that to ScotEID.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 07:59:07 pm »
 Im pretty sure you can as the movement  document allows you to tick a box for either  ccp or upload yourself to scot eid

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:00:14 pm »
I think I need to go electronic - with our small numbers, it shouldn't be too hard.  ::)

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 02:23:39 pm »
I didn't know you could do sheep on the EID.  We have used it for pigs for a couple of years and found it really easy.  Do you use the same logon or do you need to contact them for another one or to have it linked?

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 03:51:00 pm »
You just use the same logon, then down the left you can pick sheep as opposed to pigs.  The problems we are having are related to information put there by marts which is completely inaccurate, but I would think it would be useful for your own movements and so on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS