Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: best roofing material for warm and dry office shed?  (Read 7953 times)

compost

• Joined Jan 2008
best roofing material for warm and dry office shed?
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:28:08 am »
Hi, I've spent ages getting distracted with all your posts on everything, so am going to ask what may have already been answered somewhere else - apologies. but thanks!

I'm about to build a shed/ study room from pallets and skipped wood and cant decide what roofing material to use. I'm thinking of condensation, insulation, cost & fire proofness; I'd like to build a rocket stove inside, but it may turn out to be a convention woodburner. Metal corragated sheets seem best but I am concerned how well insulated I could get them. Should i lay sheets of wood (OSB?) on the rafters and fit the metal to that?
onduline is warm but not fire retardant. but then wood isn't either! I've fitted a woodburner to a yurt - with a fire retardant rubber flange bit and just the canvas only 10" away.

thanks for your help

Cesca

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: best roofing material for warm and dry office shed?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:54:21 am »
Cant give you a decisive answer but in the past i have used the pallet wood for my shed roof rather than the walls but I like the idea of shed walls made from pallets.  My roof Just had bog standard felt on top.

My requirements are different because I dont need the insulation. Were you thinking of overlapping the pallet wood walls or covering them with something to keep the water out?

What size shed are you thinking about?

Pictures will be good eventually.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:08:30 pm »
Don't know whether this is any help,
when we built our barn with box profile (the big corrugated sheets) roof, we but a thin inner lining up first, then insulation on that (the yellow woolly stuff), then the external sheets on top, I keep goats in and we've had no condensation in there. The thin sheets inside are white and reflect the smallest amount of light, (even a 0.6watt light gives enough light to walk round in), so something like that would help in an office?
Like the idea of pallet sides, but again would a tin lining give more fireproofing?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 12:59:59 pm »
Our workshop and barn had a corrugated tin roof (still does) which dripped with condensation esp in the winter.  My OH lined the lot with sarking boards (6" x 1") and there's no condensation now.  We also make sure there's a good through draft every now and then.
For our big new shed, he put on the sarking first then covered with box section tin sheets.  I will be having a wood burner in there too and am wondering about fireproofing - it will have loads of fleece stored in it, so could go up like a forest fire.  Maybe I won't have the wood burner  :o
Our house roof is simply slates with a board lining, no waterproofing layer and that's fine - useful if you have access to slates or old roof tiles.
Normal roofing felt is hopeless here, but for henhouse roofs we have found that if you brush on the roofing felt adhesive then it lasts quite a bit longer.  Onduline is not worth the effort - it blows away in the first gale.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:48:13 am »
I thought I'd read that fleece was good as a fire retardent - or is it the lanolin that would cause problems, and when washed out is it fire resistant?
FW-your comment about onduline is interesting, I was thinking of replacing the henhut roof. perhaps not.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:26:03 am »
Our workshop and barn had a corrugated tin roof (still does) which dripped with condensation esp in the winter.  My OH lined the lot with sarking boards (6" x 1") and there's no condensation now.  We also make sure there's a good through draft every now and then.
For our big new shed, he put on the sarking first then covered with box section tin sheets.  I will be having a wood burner in there too and am wondering about fireproofing - it will have loads of fleece stored in it, so could go up like a forest fire.  Maybe I won't have the wood burner  :o
Our house roof is simply slates with a board lining, no waterproofing layer and that's fine - useful if you have access to slates or old roof tiles.
Normal roofing felt is hopeless here, but for henhouse roofs we have found that if you brush on the roofing felt adhesive then it lasts quite a bit longer.  Onduline is not worth the effort - it blows away in the first gale.

We have 90mph + winds very frequently, completely exposed Cairngorm hill and a large raised up stable barn roofed with Onduline and it hasn't moved a centimetre in 5 years. It's all down to how competently it is fitted! whether enough and the right fixings are used and whether the user bothers to line it underneath with sarking boarding as it should always be. Without the sarking it will likely sail away.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 10:58:29 am »
I have 20/20 block shed wood roof whith tarporlin on top then 12 mill box profile as well as wood burner minus 20 no problem if done right the snow wont melt that shows insulition is good.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS