Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hardstanding area  (Read 2736 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
hardstanding area
« on: January 21, 2014, 12:05:20 pm »
Hi
I am wanting to build a hard standing area to the front of the house-it will be compacted hardcore, possibly pea gravel on top. I am not overlooked at all. Do I need planning for this, I am in Scotland? It will be a paddock of sorts.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: hardstanding area
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 12:14:13 pm »
Yes in theory, anything where you are importing outside materials to change the surface . As you aren't overlooked and it's not harming anyone, you can decide whether you want to apply however. NB the sort of permeable materials you are considering would be more favoured than something that might affect drainage like concrete.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 12:42:52 pm »
thanks, I will ponder :) I also have a large area of tarmac already-if I were to change it to some sort of pole-yard area (like a cattle yard) I would have to have planning and adapt existing drainage? There are two drains there already that go into the soakaway at the end of the garden. It wouldn't be for keeping horses on permanently, just sonewhere where they can mooch about when weather is awful.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 01:47:18 pm »
I suppose they might in theory prefer a surface that water can drain through, but it might mean that whereas now the water flows to the specific drains in place now via the surface of the Tarmac and drains,  if that's replaced with a surface that lets water through all over, that might not work so efficiently any more.

It may be more a building regs issue than PP, I think PP would be granted for the new surface given what's there today, it will be the building regs for drainage that determine whether what's there now will work with the new use and surface.

Depends on how official you would want to be and whether you think anyone will be affected (eg someone beyond the garden) or dib you in with the planners  :thumbsup:

One option might be to leave the existing Tarmac in place with the existing drainsand shutter up around the area you want with scaffold boards and.then use pea gravel to a good depth of 6-8 inches. Pea gravel is the best surface for horses hoof health and tho it looks un comfortable to us they like it and will lie on it. Drainage would be unaffected and although you've added a surface it's just an extra one and a free draining one. Just a thought.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 02:00:12 pm »

One option might be to leave the existing Tarmac in place with the existing drainsand shutter up around the area you want with scaffold boards and.then use pea gravel to a good depth of 6-8 inches. Pea gravel is the best surface for horses hoof health and tho it looks un comfortable to us they like it and will lie on it. Drainage would be unaffected and although you've added a surface it's just an extra one and a free draining one. Just a thought.

I have considered this. My main problem is getting the poleyard up if you like-ie fixing it into the existing tarmac as I guess it would have to be dug into or the poles put into brick work that I would have to put around the bottom. There is a large brick wall on the west side already which is a good windbreak and prevents anyone looking at it. This idea sounds expensive to me (and not as much use as the other), and beyond my capabilities. OH isn't keen on this idea, or at least permanently altering it-I cannot think of any non-permanent type barrier that would be safe for horses on that base though and I have looked. If anyone knows of anything let me know! As a temporary solution it would be fab-I cannot afford to get the garden done before the summer.

So its a backup idea to having an all weather surface/hardstanding area in the garden (which he's fine with). I honestly don't think anyone will care about either and the only drains we'll affect are our own, we're 3/4 mile away from nearest neighbour.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS