Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted. Highland Cattle  (Read 6158 times)

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Wanted. Highland Cattle
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:11:52 am »
I am looking to buy some highland in the nxt 6-8 weeks. I don't need show quality as they are for meat. I would be interested if anyone knows of any for sale. :-*
Karen

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Wanted. Highland Cattle
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 07:36:05 pm »
Migt be worth trying the breed society first.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 09:04:53 am »
The trouble is that most of their member are breeding for showing and they are very expensive. I have afew people to try from the farmers gaudian. Some are specifically for smallholdings and some are selling up or surplus stock. Thanks anyway. :cow:
Karen

ruives

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Arbroath
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:32:09 am »
Chicken Lady

I keep Highlanders myself, I just put three to slaughter the other week after a few years of TLC, I have subsequently picked up 2 steer calves which should be ready by Dec 09, hopefully.

I am no expert but I have had great pleasure in rearing these

I would suggest in the first instance that you get in touch Perth Marts regarding the Highland Cattle Sale which is normally aroung this time of year.  You would be able to go to the sale and see what you are getting for your money.  That is what I did the first time and I would say it was the least complicated.  Buying from market means the price you bid for is the price you pay and the only other thing you have to think of is transport, I used a 10x5 sheep trailor to bring my three home.

Just checked their website http://www.uagroup.co.uk/web/site/auctions/auction_perth.asp sale is on Sat 10th May

They are very easy to keep and very low maintenance and can become very tame, especially at feeding time

Hope this helps

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:34:05 am »
Thanks that really useful. I will try to get there. :cow:
Karen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS