Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poo Picking  (Read 7670 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Poo Picking
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 11:24:15 pm »
Giant dogs tend to have relatively unformed faeces because their guts are proportionately shorter for their body size than small dogs.  Our vet put it that the gut is the same size as in medium dogs, but the body is much bigger in the giants.  We definitely found that it didn't matter what we fed our giants, they never produced crispy dry faeces, and of course there's always so much more from a giant dog  :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 09:02:29 am »
and of course there's always so much more from a giant dog  :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog:
Ah well, forget the little nappy bags and go for great big waste bin linners  :roflanim:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 08:33:15 pm »
Its a type of worm that causes abortion so if dog is wormed monthly with a good wormer then no problems. I buy black poo bage from the local pound shop they are large and sturdy, my second fav thing is using arm length gloves from agri store.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2014, 09:14:28 pm »
I use baby nappy sacks,
they are stronger and cheaper than the dog poo bags in my local pet shop

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2014, 09:15:45 pm »
I don't know if other councils do them but we have a little caddy for recycling food waste. The council provides free caddy liners which are biodegradable. We don't use the caddy as it all goes on the compost heap so I use the bags for poo, much better than plastic.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 09:34:31 pm »
Its a type of worm that causes abortion so if dog is wormed monthly with a good wormer then no problems. I buy black poo bage from the local pound shop they are large and sturdy, my second fav thing is using arm length gloves from agri store.
Why would you worm a dog monthly?  That is extreme in my view, and I can't see it does their innards any good.  Provided they are not drinking out of puddles and eating stuff outside there is no need for such a regime.  My vet recommends half yearly for pampered pet dogs and quarterly for my roughie toughie field dogs. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS