Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poo Picking  (Read 7671 times)

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Poo Picking
« on: January 18, 2014, 10:01:19 am »
Not the nicest of subjects but now I dont have my own fields for her to run in I need to be sorted.  So far I have just carried a small plastic bag, but what does everyone else use please.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Poo Picking
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:06:15 am »
surely you need BIG plastic bags :-D

we just use baby nappy sacks as they are cheaper than poo bags...

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 10:09:16 am »
surely you need BIG plastic bags :-D

we just use baby nappy sacks as they are cheaper than poo bags...
Same here, Morrisons!  Every pocket in my house has a bag in it I think  :roflanim:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:11:40 am »
We use nappy bags for walks as they are so cheap and plentiful.
At home we use a rake and horse poop scoop.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 10:42:45 am »
I use a plastic scoop made from a 2ltre bleach bottle and either flush the contents or fling them into the woods to feed the trees.
Maybe a biodegradable poop scoop bag would be the best idea and as you won't want to overtax the portaloo system in Thebus perhaps you could bury the stuff by the roadside if a council bin isn't handy.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 10:57:52 am »
Dog poo doesn't bio-degrade like other animals, so best not thrown anywhere.  For instance it CAN carry an organism that causes abortion in sheep and cows, so never leave poo in a field.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 11:46:24 am »
We used to have wolfhounds and giant crosses but found their poop almost impossible to pick up with just a bag - way too soft, only a shovel, rake and supermarket carrier bag (carefully checked for holes  :o ) would do.  Now we have tiny dogs with settled insides it's no problem.  Local councils have free bags available at their offices, and green spaces in towns usually have a red bin for doggie bag disposal.  If you keep a lidded bucket somewhere about your bus, you can dispose of the bags when you find a bin.  Maybe camp sites have them too.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 11:49:25 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 12:16:40 pm »
I use small plastic bags. The £1 shops usually have a supply
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »
Feed dried food .......... makes poo picking up much less of a trauma
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 05:40:35 pm »
Feed dried food .......... makes poo picking up much less of a trauma

Agree. Good quality dry food such as hills, eukanuba, Arden grange. High quality so less needed each feed time.  Smaller, harder poop to pick up. Nappy sack or doggy poo bag. We just put it in the general waste if no dog waste bins around.

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 08:20:05 pm »
feeding raw gives even better poos - small and dry!  Our council poo bags are the best I've had - big and strong.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 08:56:51 pm »
Whatever the diet makes little difference! I've tried both - it's the dogs' internal organs that determine the consistency. ::)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 09:45:17 pm »
doganjo - I have to disagree ( which is rare - I usually agree with your doggy findings!  ). The food determines the poo! Generally poo does get stiffer and drier on raw, just as it does to a lesser extent on good quality kibble compared with cheap stuff.  But I'm not preaching "raw" - that's a personal decision.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 10:07:45 pm »
Dog poo doesn't bio-degrade like other animals, so best not thrown anywhere.  For instance it CAN carry an organism that causes abortion in sheep and cows, so never leave poo in a field.

This is plantation woodland and will be thick with spruce trees for decades to come. No livestock will be anywhere near it even after that as the only thing to do once the trees are harvested is to plant more.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 10:16:02 pm »
doganjo - I have to disagree ( which is rare - I usually agree with your doggy findings!  ). The food determines the poo! Generally poo does get stiffer and drier on raw, just as it does to a lesser extent on good quality kibble compared with cheap stuff.  But I'm not preaching "raw" - that's a personal decision.
I'm only going on personal experience - found no difference at all.  Nothing scientific   :eyelashes:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS