Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gilts and AI?  (Read 8280 times)

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Gilts and AI?
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:06:06 am »
Gilts and AI? There seems to be varying views as to whether or not using AI on gilts is a good idea, or even if its viable.

Keeping a boar for one or two sows or gilts isn't a viable proposition. Its expensive and not cost effective.
 Gilts are usually smaller than mature sows and with boars get steadily bigger as they age, they may eventually be too big for use on gilts.
I currently have two eighteen week old gilts which when fully grown will need to be put in the family way, so what experience have you had with gilts and AI? In your opinion is it a yes or a no no?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 07:09:53 am by Bodger »

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Gilts and AI?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 08:38:07 am »
Been my dilemma! I have decided from what a lot off people said on my post too use a boar for the first litter then use AI. You get the best from the best boars. It seems so very easy to do by the YouTube video's

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 09:05:19 am »
I've recently posted on just this subject in "Is buying maiden gilts a risk".   We always started them off with AI as we had Saddlebacks and Tamworths.   As I wanted to breed pedigree for both, it would have meant organising transport/loans of two separate boars, complications with housing them and standstill periods if they overlapped.    I found AI incredibly straightforward and successful, as long as you are very well prepared knowing exactly when your gilts are ready for insemination, as there is no boar to tell you.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 10:50:01 am »
We used ai with success on our Tamworth gilt but found it more difficult with the gos.
It would be my first choice next time we breed as keeping is expensive.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 12:08:45 pm »
Well I've publicised my recent problems with regards to the expense of keeping pedigree pigs and I have a cunning plan.
I'll bite the bullet and register the two gilts that I'm keeping back from Pru's litter but after that,  I'm considering using AI and something like a Pietrain as a sire. I'll hopefully get more for my piglets than I would for non registered spotty pigs.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 12:29:04 pm »
Bodger why do you think you will get more for piglets that are Pietrain cross?
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 12:33:35 pm »
Much better conformation. I've seem some Pietrain crosses and they were stonking.
I've seen pure bred GOS weaners sold in the markets go for very small prices.

Clive

• Joined Sep 2012
    • Precious Porkers
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 03:53:38 pm »
We used AI on our Berkshire gilt successfully. She stands rock steady and it was a fairly simple process on both occasions (she is currently expecting her second litter). Our OSB gilt has not been so accommodating. It is quite difficult to spot when she is brimming. She doesn't ever seem to stand properly though she seems to cooperate with the boar without drama!

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 04:34:13 pm »
That's a nice website that you have Clive.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 05:17:10 pm »
I've seen pure bred GOS weaners sold in the markets go for very small prices.

Auction prices for weaners tend to vary widely depending on the time of year.  Spring and Summer are good, Autumn sometimes better as they're likely to be finished in time for Christmas.  Not many folk want them in the Winter, when they'll likely need extra feed to finish and possibly be on  very muddy ground andrun the risk of frozen drinkers if outdoors.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 05:22:57 pm »
That's true of course but coloured pigs don't sell as well as white pigs no matter what time of year.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 05:29:46 pm »
That's because a lot of people who should know better still think that the carcass will be coloured after it's been de-haired.

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 05:34:49 pm »
That's true too.

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 07:24:11 pm »
Unfortunately that's why I went for a pink pig when buying a gilt stupid as it sounds people don't want coloured pigs as much :-/ which is upsetting as the coloured ones taste the best!!

timattjs

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 11:39:15 am »
I've got 3 pedigree middle white gilts one is six months older than the other two who are nearly a year now and we are wanting to put them to a boar preferably a pietrain but can be anything really as they will not be for breeding but finding it hard to find a boar to hire.

They are not small but I guess a big boar might be to big - is AI going to be the only answer? we are wanting to carry with litters and are seriously wondering about a boar for ourselves and to hire out bearing in mind the problems we have had finding one.

Is there a demand for boar hire we are in West Wiltshire near Bath so could service Somerset, Avon, Gloucester as well. Be interested to know peoples thoughts and if anyone knows of a boar we could use prefering coming to us.

Thanks for reading!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS