Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on price of grazing land  (Read 16242 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: advice on price of grazing land
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2014, 06:34:39 pm »
Mine are! :roflanim:

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2014, 12:49:33 pm »
We pay £200 per Acre a year for 6 acres next to the farm. Do we moan ? Yes ,Does It help ? No

langfauld easycare

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 08:40:58 pm »
£720 per acre per year they should have a mask on before they rob you .if i could get that all my sheep would be gone and the grazing rented out. i would look else where . you would still have all the up keep costs for the sheep on top. way way way to much .

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:45 pm »
£720 per acre per year they should have a mask on before they rob you .if i could get that all my sheep would be gone and the grazing rented out. i would look else where . you would still have all the up keep costs for the sheep on top. way way way to much .

I agree - it raises the price for the rest of us and you have to deal with the fact that whoever is charging you that is laughing at how easy it is to rob you blind overcharge you for sheep grazing.

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 09:52:00 am »
How accessible is the field from your house?

If it can be used as an extension of your garden then it is well worth £60 / month.

Look at it another way; if you were looking to buy an acre adjoining your house you could well be looking at £25,000. To borrow £20,000 over 20 years @ 5% would be £130 / month.

Doesn't seem so bad now does it?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 10:15:46 am »

Look at it another way; if you were looking to buy an acre adjoining your house you could well be looking at £25,000. To borrow £20,000 over 20 years @ 5% would be £130 / month.

Doesn't seem so bad now does it?
Yes it does, you are only renting it so will have absolutely nothing to show for the money at the end of the term.

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 10:29:51 am »
Aside from an AHA tenancy where else can you rent property for 50% of what a mortgage would cost?

If the field was ten minutes away then yes, it would only be worth a nominal amount or even a "just keep it tidy" agreement, but the convenience and added benefits of having it on your doorstep are worth much more.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 11:41:08 am »
How come land is so expensive to buy - but people want to rent it for peanuts?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 12:25:25 pm »
£20k an acre is insane, I would want to be paying less than half that.  I think the whole land and property market needs a reality check.

Too many greedy ppl in the world unfort.

si-mate

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Kent
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 01:24:32 pm »
£20k an acre is insane,

It is if you are buying several of them. But for one acre next to your house 20k is nothing. You can't even buy a nice family car for that now.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 01:31:25 pm »
Personally I think things are only worth what people are prepared to pay for them, and alas some people are prepared to pay over the odds, because they see something they "want" and they feel like they must have it  whatever the cost.
And I could buy a nice family car for under a grand, it all depends on your definition of "nice" ;).
Anyway, we are digressing, sorry Kate :).

smee2012

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 12:08:05 am »
We paid £30K for the two acres (that we've split into two paddocks) that we own. It's not adjoining our house but it is adjoining our neighbours and we can see most of the top paddock from our house. The sheep can hear us when we are outside and shout at us.  :wave:

The land we bought was an option when we bought the house but there were a whole load of solicitors involved, due to the way it had been done, and so cost us another £5K on top of that. Very expensive, considering it was just arable land (and fairly poor land at that). We've had to fence all four sides, lay the water and seed it.

As we are still in the process of trying to improve the grazing, we are going to be asking the farmer whose fields back onto our house (and our paddocks) if we can pop our girls onto a fenced off corner of his dairy cow pasture. I'm hoping he won't want £60pcm for the privilege! I expect he'll let us have it for nothing, to be honest, as he often lets another local farmer graze his sheep on some of his other fields over winter (as he keeps the cattle indoors).

I have no idea on the local price for sheep grazing so I've been reading this thread with interest!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 09:22:07 am »
How come land is so expensive to buy - but people want to rent it for peanuts?

Because people are looking at the value of the land itself - it isn't  made any more etc. They are expecting it to increase in value and it is a good way to  deposit money tax free etc. What they are not doing is buying it according to its cropping value.

For example - my landlord (3K acres arable) reckons that if he bought land to farm at the moment, maybe his sons (oldest 14) might see it starting to pay by the time they are his (45) age.

I'm afraid the value of sheep grazing is worth what the sheep farmer can pay and still make a profit, which is not a lot when you compare it to the value of the land itself (obviously there is also the matter of the sheep improving the pasture - 'golden hoof' and all that).   

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS