Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on price of grazing land  (Read 16243 times)

katie_thorpe

• Joined Jan 2014
advice on price of grazing land
« on: January 13, 2014, 02:54:12 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how much I should pay for grazing for 2 pregnant sheep? There is currently a field behind our house in Somerset that is approx 1 acre with hedges (that need tending to) but would need fencing and gates putting in. It  is also only accessible through another field or by a small kissing gate that you have to climb over a large rubble pile to get too. I have asked and they want £60 pcm for it which I think is a little steep but wanted to get some advice first before I reply to them. There is no water/electric or buildings.

Any advice welcome

Thanks

Kate

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: advice on price of grazing land
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 02:57:26 pm »
That's way more than a little steep Kate. :o

katie_thorpe

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:10:51 pm »
I glad you agree!

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 04:22:37 pm »
Thats wayy too much!!!

I was quoted £30 per head per year for a block of land, although in the end I just fenced it and didnt pay anything  ::)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:36:16 pm »
I guess it depends, if they have people with horses around who might want it then £60 a month is standard for that, but if it's only suitable for sheep and there isn't competition from horse owners then it might be too much.

It does sound more like a horsey price than a sheep one, given the sheep will improve the ground and horses if kept on a small patch generally the opposite unless managed carefully.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:56:26 pm »
Supply and demand!

I pay from nothing for poor unfenced land to £65/acre for excellent fenced, watered new red clover leys

Average for PP would be £30/acre /year but only if there was more than 20 acres in a block

Lots of place I pay by the head---so from 10p to 30p /week/head

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 07:00:32 pm »
I have 50 'tack' (winter let grazing) sheep in at the moment on unfenced rough ground (farmer brings own fencing) and am being paid 35p per head per week.

Thing is, an acre is a bit small for horses since you need 2 horses for company and ideally need  to rotate the ground. It could be done but only with a lot of hay. So maybe make a more agricultural counter offer price wise.  Not on a pence per head rate like we are getting as the land could take more than 2 sheep but maybe offer them £100 a year or something? It has to be enough to make it worth them bothering but £60 a month for a couple of sheep is a bit strong.

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 07:22:13 pm »
We have horses & sheep. The sheep go on rented ground during the winter for just this reason; horse rent is expensive. I understand why, they can poach the ground so easily. An acre of land though is of limited use to horse owners though especially in this weather. I agree I'd make a counter offer although saying that when we did rent grazing for the horses (opposite our house so very convenient) we still only paid £120 per acre per year

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 08:08:35 pm »
I rented out an acre and a quarter for a hundred a month and it wasn't even used.

Big Light

• Joined Aug 2011
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 08:52:50 pm »
I think the key thing is that its at the back of your house how much do you save on petrol time etc plus you don't have to go anywhere in the miserable weather other than to step out the door.so in reality what's it worth to you?

AJ

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 10:22:23 pm »
I only pay £100 per year for almost an acre behind our house but I guess that it is worth what you are happy to pay, if it is more convenient paying over the odds to have your animals near to you then go for it?

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 11:08:16 pm »
As above.  Particularly if they are in lamb...peace of mind is priceless.

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 09:19:22 am »
People valur £60 differently but I would have thought £10 per month is fair
Sheep

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 05:43:51 pm »
I'm surprised they think it is worth any money at all. 1/2 a lamb as a gesture of goodwill?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 05:51:28 pm »
Are sheep gold plated?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS