Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lice  (Read 2145 times)

Copeson

• Joined Jun 2013
Lice
« on: January 08, 2014, 05:09:35 pm »
Hi could anyone advise on treatment for lice in ewes who are about 2-3 weeks of lambing Thanks  :)

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
Re: Lice
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 07:56:53 pm »
How bad are the lice?

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 08:30:42 pm »
Crovect / Dysect / Zermasect    will all work quickly and safely , do it very calmly maybe while eating , if you don't do it the lambs will be infected after birth .  Are you 100% sure its lice?? .    Remember the product needs 4 hrs to dry and  no very heavy rain in the first day or so ,  but you can apply to damp wool it helps with the spread

Copeson

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 05:41:10 pm »
Hi thanks for your reply we are bring them in at night and out in the day , going to have a closer look at the weekend being Kerry hills they can be a little quick  :o have also been told to use spot on

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 06:53:13 pm »
The reason I didn't mention spot-on is that if you read the leaflet it says that " it reduces the incidence of lice over 4-6wks " so not as quick as the others in my post , so if you use it the lambs can still be infected

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2014, 08:24:04 am »
For lice you are really wanting to get the Crovect or similar onto the skin, so it's best if you can part the fleece and squirt it onto bare skin.

You also need to be sure you know that it's biting lice not sucking lice - Crovect treats the former but not the latter.  We've used Dectomax (injection) for sucking lice in the past.

In sheep not used to much handling, the amount of handling you'd need, so close to lambing, might be an issue and cause more problems than you solve.

I would ask your vet what s/he suggests - they'll know what it is most likely to be and advise accordingly.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS