Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Roosters beside each other??  (Read 2031 times)

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
Roosters beside each other??
« on: January 06, 2014, 08:01:10 pm »
I currently have a young gold silkie rooster with one hen (the other hen died). And on Saturday i am going to get a buff Orpington bantam rooster with 3 hens and my question is will the two rooster keep crowing all the time at each other, both of them will be in different houses and i can put one house behind a polytunnel so they cant hear each other? Any suggestions about this problem??
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Roosters beside each other??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 08:50:18 pm »
I've got six cockerels at the moment (all various colours of Orpington) and they certainly don't spend all day crowing continuously. They do crow during the day from time to time but I thought all cockerels do that anyway, don't they? Mind you, mine aren't of the feisty variety.

H

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 08:55:08 pm »
they'll crow when its light & when they feel like it .... regardless of how close another fella is!
They do seem to "answer" each other, but there can be a huge distance between them, so just house them wherever it the most convenient for you!

I find having them all in a "row" of houses is easier for feeding, cleaning etc, we have 5 chicken houses & a quail house in a kind of a row and a duck shed just round the corner!  Some of them are empty ("nurseries") at the moment, but it works for me.

Just give them low ceilings at night, shut them in & black out the windows.
They'll still crow, but better than being outside at daybreak!

And yes, they'll crow in the day sometimes too - we joke that our legbar Jarvis Cock-eral sings for his supper...
;)
Little Blue

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 09:08:32 pm »
I have 3 currently, 2 in with each other until I separate them for breeding pens. you'd need a lot of land to have them that far apart that they can't hear each other  :)  they do have 'crow offs' but are pretty short-lived. Luckily none of mine seem to set each other off in the night and cockerels crow more than cocks IME.

Connor

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Northern Ireland
  • Like us on Facbook@ Maddens Poultry
    • Maddens Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 09:57:38 pm »
Thanks for the help it has defo answered
Maddens Poultry- Breed Black and gold silkies Like us on facebook
Maddens plants- Sell veg transplants Find us on facebook!

Contact me if your interested in veg transplants for your veg  patch!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS