Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Two kids arrived while we were out!!!! - Anyone on line??  (Read 10260 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Two kids arrived while we were out!!!! - Anyone on line??
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 01:15:02 pm »
Ah, lovely!!  I have Nubians......they usually have twins - we had two sets of triplets last kidding.  Ours not due until late April.  Our pygmy goats kid at this time of the year, one on the coldest night on record a couple of years ago - in an old cow barn at the time, but kid coped fine with the cold.

I have a dread about water buckets having twice have pygmys kid suddenly, and the kid end up in the bucket  (happy endings both time though).

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 04:41:31 pm »
You will have to lambivac the kids at three weeks if they do not get any (passive) immunity from a vaccinated dam. Then 4 weeks later for second shot.

Yes definitely iodine for the navel - navel ill is a bacterial infection that will only show up later and is often fatal. However they may have dried off by now, and if the shed floor was freshly strawed it may have been ok. (I am a bit paranoid about doing the navel spray, but goats are much better than sheep in cleaning their offspring).

It will be very tempting to feed lots of concentrate to the dam straight away, but go easy for the first wek or two and bring her up to her full ration slowly. Soaked sugar beet shreds and bran is fine to start with, and I then slowly increase with small amounts of concentrate mixed in, also some oats maybe.

Are you going to milk the nanny? If yes it would give you a good idea if she has enough milk for her two, and if it is less than 2 ltrs per kid per day (as in 4 ltrs total after about 3 weeks) I would be tempted to also feed some milk replacer. Whatever  you do - please check her udder to feel if it is tight/hot/uncomfortable. If it is - milk some milk out of her (only a bit to make it less tight).

Also you need to decide NOW if you are going to disbud the kids (and ring the boy if there is one). Disbudding needs to be done by 4 days preferably - but contact your vet tomorrow to discuss with him/her. You can take the kids to the vets in a dog carry crate in the back of a normal car.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 04:49:29 pm »
Congratulations! (She was probably waiting for you to get out of her way so she could kid in peace ;) )

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 05:57:56 pm »
Congratulations  :thumbsup:
and I know Beth said they'd be fine in the dark, but I have a small led light that plugs in, gives off a very low light, about 0.6watts, I like them to have just a little bit of light the first few days, esp a first timer, but that's just me and my strange ideas ;D

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 12:44:09 pm »
Just make sure they have peed and pooed the first stool is sometimes a hard plug of "baby yellow"   that they can have difficulty shifting , otherwise they sound fine.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 12:00:46 pm »
Just make sure they have peed and pooed the first stool is sometimes a hard plug of "baby yellow"   that they can have difficulty shifting , otherwise they sound fine.
I last year I had to clean ones bottom (YUK) but there was something not quite right with him and he died anyway. Luckily the mums usually do the yukky job.

Jess2011

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 07:40:33 pm »
I am new to the forum and have just read this thread.

How are the kids now? Fingers crossed all is ok.

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2014, 09:06:16 am »
They are bouncing around all over the place and simply lovely.

Mothers are amazing. Goat or human.
Thrift Bee

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2014, 10:56:37 pm »
 ;D ;D

Where do I get iodine?

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 12:13:40 am »
;D ;D

Where do I get iodine?
MGOM most agricultural merchants sell it by the bottle
Graham

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 10:55:43 pm »
Thank you. I've never had any because I didn't realise I should have.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 10:22:55 pm »

Where do I get iodine?

I don't know how others use it, I was told to dip the cord, but I find it less messy in a spray.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 12:15:41 am »
I had the vet out to the last one as he wasn't presenting properly and he sprayed with something. That must have been iodine.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 01:42:27 pm »
I spay my iodine into an old (but clean) plastic 35mm carmera film tub and then hold the kid, dangle cord into the tub, press tub against the tummy and tip the kid upside down ao all around the cord and cord base is done without me spraying the whole kid and myself in the process - it seems to work well.  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2014, 03:31:11 pm »
You can now  buy a navel spray for sheep and goats, Iodine can get a bit messy, It's to prevent Joint Ill and other infections Leslie.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS