Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Two kids arrived while we were out!!!! - Anyone on line??  (Read 10227 times)

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
Two kids arrived while we were out!!!! - Anyone on line??
« on: January 04, 2014, 09:41:34 pm »
Our 10 month old Nubian Buttercup has successfully delivered two adorable kids!! We were out all day, she wasn't showing any particular signs this morning and because she arrived with us in kid already, we didn't know when she would deliver.

The babies have both suckled and seem to be fine.  Do we just leave them to get on with it?  They have plenty of straw bedding, Buttercup has her water bucket and plenty of hay.  Its pretty cold tonight, but they are in a old stone cow byre and its fairly comfortable.

There were two birth 'bags' on the floor which we've cleaned up.

Is there anything we should be doing......this is a total new experience for us.

Thrift Bee

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Two kids arrived while we were out!!!! - Anyone on line??
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 09:46:18 pm »
Congratulations. I love Nubians and keeping hoping to find one near me. If kids seem to be feeding, have dried off and look ok then just make sure mum has water and a bit of food. Watch they can't fall in water bucket. They will sleep quite a bit for a day or two then bounce about.

Pictures would be good  :excited:

Humblepie

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 10:04:40 pm »
welldone. i too would be careful about them falling in the bucket as they are so clumsy in the first few days. try a shallow trough.

if it was me i would check them about 2am to make sure they are suckling - as i lost a kid as she wasnt suckling properly, and iv also had kids struggling to find the teat and needed assistance for the first few days. wev also had a nanny who just didnt bother with the kids, not even licking them so they got chilled. so i dont take anything for granted.

once you know the nanny is looking after them, they are suckling ok and the poo is yellow you can stop worrying.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 10:16:21 pm »
I would check them later as well. AN kids tend to be quite weakly for the first couple of days, so make sure they are warm enough, and getting milk. You might need to think about a heat lamp for them. A cardboard or wooden box on its side is sometimes good as it gives the kids someplace warm and cosy to sleep, with less draughts- but tomorrow would be time enough for that. I would give mum a warm drink this evening, if you add treacle (or molasses if you have any) and salt to warm water, it replaces her electrolytes. I'd also give something to eat- not a protein mix, but something like alfalfa, soaked beet pulp, some vegetables etc.

Beth

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 10:17:49 pm »
Ps- Congratulations- and boys/girls?

Beth

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 10:40:41 pm »
Brilliant - thanks all for your replies.
Have dealt with water  bucket situation, and preparing salty treacle tea now. 

One is definitley a girl, not sure about the other one.

Thrift Bee

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 10:49:48 pm »
Congratulations. They are so sweet. Mum is very young to have kidded. I would keep an eye on her to make sure she picks up properly and can provide enough milk for them without losing too much herself. She'll need a bit more than hay to eat.

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 10:53:52 pm »
Putting a nice cardboard box in with them. Don't laugh but should i leave the shed light on or are they okay in the dark?
Thrift Bee

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 10:54:19 pm »
I've no experience of goats but a big congratulations on your surprise. Hope all goes well with the little cuties and mum.  :thumbsup:

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 10:57:05 pm »
Congratulations. They are so sweet. Mum is very young to have kidded. I would keep an eye on her to make sure she picks up properly and can provide enough milk for them without losing too much herself. She'll need a bit more than hay to eat.

She is very young for sure, we were so worried about the birth. When you say picks up properly, do you mean her recovery? 
Thrift Bee

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 11:24:53 pm »
She is really young to have babies- you will need to make sure the babies are getting enough milk. The first few days are important to get enough milk, they have a natural birth hunger. Then they won't drink as much, but the time to watch is when they are they about 3 weeks old as they'll be looking to start taking more milk from then.

They will be fine in the dark btw!

Nice pictures, looks like she's adapting well to being a mum despite her young age.

Beth

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 09:38:41 am »
dont have goats do love AN's Ballingalls fault i must point out...

blondie is super cute!!!

congratulations

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:47:05 am »
Shucks.....they sure are super cute.!  :love:

Been out this morning and Mum and babies seem to be doing fine.  :relief:

Despite Buttercups young age she is very attentive with them. They all cuddled up for the night and we will probably spend most of the day oohing and aahing in the shed.

Will be posting more questions later no doubt. And will get some clearer pictures to share.

Thanks just for being there AS peeps.  :thumbsup:

If anyone feels like chipping in ANY advice it will be all welcome.

Thrift Bee

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 09:55:53 am »
Forgot to mention iodine on cords. Presume you lamivac'd mum 4-6 weeks before birth? Otherwise I think you need to do kids at 6 and 10 weeks and pray they don't pick up any infections in the meantime.

Thrift Bee

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Co. Wicklow
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 11:26:17 am »
The only iodine product we have is Footspray, OH going to call on farming neighbour to come and have a look at them, will mention this to him.
No unfortunatly we have not lamivac'd, we only twigged she was pregnant about a month ago and there is a serious lack of goat information around here. Will google.
Thrift Bee

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS