Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose eggs  (Read 1738 times)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
Goose eggs
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:16:24 pm »
Hi all, anyone out there in the Ipswich/Bury area who may be selling goose and duck eggs for hatching in spring?
Duck wise I am not to worried on breed provided they are not ornamental as non flyers are best as they may decide to follow the wild ducks that congregate on my pond! Wanted primarily for eggs but considering some table birds(what age is best for dispatch and does one treat them the same as chickens)? Goose wise I have thought about some Buff Backs as I want all rounders' and docile, too many memories (not fond ones) of being beaten by the wings of my grandparents geese as a child, they terrified me!  :'( I have never kept geese myself so any advice would be welcome.  :fc:   :wave:

PS Happy New Year :excited: :excited: :excited:
Heather

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Goose eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 08:29:13 pm »
I'm not that close but I could post you some of both (hopefully) from Kent. I'll have a breeding pen of Silver Appleyard ducks (brilliant dual purpose laying daily for a large portion of the year and a good table size), a breeding pen of Cayugas (yet to start laying but gorgeous looking ducks, not quite so good on laying I believe and slightly smaller than the Appleyards but still a good meal) and hopefully my West of England geese will produce some fertile eggs this year. I can't guarantee the latter and I will want to hatch as many as possibly myself but if I reach my limits of raising goslings and still have eggs to spare, you can have a go (although no idea how to post a goose egg!). I imagine the ducks will start coming into lay at the end of Jan, the geese at the end of Feb but the early fertility will not be great so it'll probably be March time before it's worth sending you anything (and it gives me a chance to check they're OK first).

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Goose eggs
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 09:43:00 pm »
got a trio of ebdems 1 year old this spring.... let them hatch their own...these run away from you so dont attack unless brooding ... long stratton ipswich road... saw some geese eggs on norwich market today for eating £1.90 each
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 10:15:17 pm by harry »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS