Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Teaching, helping, demonstrating our skills  (Read 4505 times)

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Teaching, helping, demonstrating our skills
« on: December 30, 2013, 08:36:03 pm »
I have learnt so much about various different subjects through this forum, so thank you to everyone for sharing your wealth of experience. 

Earlier this year my OH was in a serious accident and I posted that I was struggling to manage whilst he was in hospital. I was inundated with offers of help from people on here but was too embarrassed to accept , choosing instead to pay someone to do it.

However, not every one is in the privileged situation of doing that.

I was wondering if there is any way we could list skills we are willing to share / help/ carry out the work , to help others ,for what ever reason ,aren't in the situation to do themselves.

I don't know what skills I would have to offer, but I'm not scared of hard work and mucking in...or mucking out.   :farmer: My OH is an electrician to trade, and although he still as physical injuries and has further surgeries to go through, he could advise and hopefully in 6 months time he can return to doing manual work.

For 6 months now I have needed to get 3 goats ear tagged. I have the tags, I have the plier things but I don't know what to do and am scared to do it myself. I have fencing that needs tightened, but again not to sure where to start. So these things are challenges to me, but to others this is a simple job.

I know of a guy that is superb at dispatching chickens, not something that I could do, but he is skilled at this and would do it for anyone for a dozen eggs.

I hope someone can take this idea forward, because I am sure there are people out there that need help in a variety of areas that to people that have the knowledge / skill /equipment it isn't too much of a challenge.

I appreciate that we are all busy people, and that sometimes there isn't enough hours/daylight in the day, but I'd like to think if someone needed help, whatever it is, they could ask for it and not be embarrassed like I was and didn't accept.

Mojo

pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Teaching, helping, demonstrating our skills
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 10:16:19 am »
I don't think there are many close enough to me to need my limited skills but I love fruit tree pruning, can help with bees (have helped a friend shift her hives) and can generally labour (general garden stuff normally).

H

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:54:34 am »
The thing is that most of the skills that I have learnt I have picked up either on here, other forums or on You Tube.

Whilst that's fine for us doing things for ourselves here - I wouldn't purport to be "expert" enough to bestow that "wisdom" on other people.

I would be happy to help out friends locally with a willing pair of hands and common sense but anything else - it all gets a bit down to individual preferences etc. People may not like the way I do things…….
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 11:53:08 am »
We started a timebank on our forum but it doesn't see much activity although there are a good few members. I think the problem is distance to travel for most people as nobody likes to ask people to come a long way just for a small job. Also, we are all such good friends now that favours tend to get done left right and centre and nobody expects anything.
I think the answer is perhaps just volunteer whenever you can and if you can.

edit; Just out of interest, would anyone in NE Scotland want to be notified if we have a craft day or any kind of demo? I offered to demonstrate hand shearing in the summer and only have two takers so far so room for a couple more. You'd have to come to me of course, that's where my sheep are, lol.
Also doing a 'Get to know your sewing machine' in the Spring after the lambing is done in Feb/March so that's available too. (No charge, just a social thing at my house)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:57:19 am by JulieWall »
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 01:32:06 pm »
The only skill I have is in book-keeping/paperwork etc and using computers.  I'm happy to impart my knowledge to fellow TASers in Central Scotland.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 10:59:27 am »
One of the best ways of sharing hands-on skills is through a local group that meets up.  TAS is fantastic - but it's virtual. 

I don't know where you are mojo, but there are real live smallholder groups about the countries - DASH in Devon, sounds like there've been TAS meetups in Wales and in Scottish Borders recently, and there have been some meetings in the north of England (which I forgot to go to  ::)  :dunce: )

Asking for real hands-on help is hard, isn't it?  And accepting it, even harder!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 12:09:00 pm »
MojoCafa I can tag your goats for you - should be down your way in the next few days to visit the inlaws if your about we could arrange it.

I used to get the vet to do all my goat tagging as I was such a wimp but having lots of lambs to do has given me the confidence to do the goats although I have to warn you lambs don't make a sound but kids make a big fuss/cry over it more in anticipation rather than the actual itself.

Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2014, 12:14:35 pm »
I agree SitN.

Three of us TASers met up in Llanidloes recently and one of them came over and showed me how to despatch a chicken with confidence. For me - that's a real hurdle crossed thanks to this forum.

She brought her cockerels over too and in the end we plucked them all in the new chicken plucking machine ;D ;D 

I know that Carmarthenshire TASers met up and I am sure the Scottish ones have too

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:52:12 pm by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2014, 12:27:43 pm »
im in a weird space as my job is fencing and landscaping etc so i offer advice to people as required and competitive pricing for tasers.

I help out people close to me where i can and have received the help of others when required (1 message and i got a very good lesson in chicken dispatch)

madchickenlady

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Old Newton Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 06:05:31 pm »
I think it would be a great idea but there don't seem to be many smallholders in my area, and I don't drive either which is a problem in more rural areas. I don't have any skills as such but would help anyone out if they were ok with guiding me. I am not a smallholder, just wish I was!! I keep chickens (not tried the dispatch and prep yet, still too  :chook:) and love gardening also have couple of ducks. So probably not much use, but good at mucking in and getting the job done, hard graft and muck no problem so if anyone needs a pair of hands, I'm in.  :wave:
Heather

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS