Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 2324 times)

Hardfeather

Help please
« on: August 29, 2009, 10:25:26 pm »
Would anyone like to look at this site http://www.aaronmartin.com/index.html and see if you agree with me on the uk price for the items?

There is a collar and hames advertised on the Dragon Driving website, and the seller is in Stranraer...........he says he has four 24 inch collars with hames @ £275 each (unused), and a used 22 inch with hames @ £200, so I looked on the Aaron Martin site and, as you'll see, the collars seem very inexpensive...........but then when you look at the prices of, say, traces, it all gets very confusing.

Perhaps I've got the exchange rate the wrong way round............ :-\ ??? :-[

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 10:39:47 pm »
I think you need a horsey person to look at that - there are so many different types of harness and collars.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:43:57 pm »
Are the prices on that website canadian pounds .....or uk pounds?

And the collars on Dragon driving - are they English leather?

We drive, but don't use the full collars on our ponies, they have breast collars,or french brollers.

I go to carriage and harness sales, and you can buy collars cheaper than that, at the sales if you bid.
Having said that, the collars and hames do tend to be expensive.  I am only going off the ones I bought, which are purely for decoration purposes on my farmhouse wall, which came from an auction, and cost me £50

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:49:24 pm »
That website uses Canadian Dollars - equals just over 50p - so Can $300 = £168.90 approx
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 08:09:53 am »
I think you need a horsey person to look at that - there are so many different types of harness and collars.

Ha ha..............I am a horsey person  ;D

I work on a driving yard, have my own horses at home, and work freelance too.

It's the prices I can't get my head round. They are in Canadian dollars, which would make these collars very inexpensive in our money.
That website uses Canadian Dollars - equals just over 50p - so Can $300 = £168.90 approx
..........that is very reasonable, then. Thanks.

They won't be in English leather as it's a Canadian firm, but they seem to supply a wide range of needs.......from buggy harness through light working stuff, and into the heavy harness as well. I'll enquire on an American forum (Chronicles of the Horse) to see if anyone can vouch for their quality.

When I saw the one on Dragon Driving I thought it looked like a good piece of kit, but couldn't believe the seller only wanted £200 for the 22 inch collar................it seems he got for less than that from source.

I have a van collar here which I bought from McRosties of Glasgow some years ago, and paid £400 for, but I could do with another set of hames for it. I've ordered a catalogue from Aaron Martin, so we'll see.

Roxy, like you I attend the sales, and I buy used harness from other sources too, but I think you'll agree, everything has to be in proper working condition and safe when driving.  I would prefer to buy new if I could.

Do you do HDT, and what sort of ponies do you have?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 04:04:54 pm »
You may be liable for import tax if the goods are coming from Canada. I bought boots from the States and got whacked for £22 import duty. Don't know if Canada is the same.

Hardfeather

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 06:11:59 pm »
Hmmm  :-\

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 06:31:29 pm »
When looking at prices from outside the UK, you need to remember to add the cost of transit, approx 5% import tax and VAT at the normal rate, so 15% for now. So cost of delivery plus 20% in taxes and the local prices you've mentioned are certainly nothing stunning, but don't seem too far off what I'd expect.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS