Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: moving sheep  (Read 5737 times)

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
moving sheep
« on: August 28, 2009, 01:27:59 pm »
think you will all find this a stupid question , but can i transport 2 tups in the back of my landrover as i don't own a trailer thanks Vicky

HappyHippy

Re: moving sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 02:18:14 pm »
If it's just a short distance and you're not taking them to slaughter/market I personally don't see why not. BUT, that's just my opinion - I'm not sure of the 'official regs' regarding transportation.

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 02:34:35 pm »
You need to get specific to which type of land rover. Personally, I wouldn't have a sheep in my freelander, but I have delivered weaners in it.

If its a land rover with canopy then it would be fine as this can be disinfected and cleaned easily.

I think the rules try to encourage you to move animals in a trailor so it can be disinfected properly.

vickylouxx

• Joined Aug 2009
  • carmathen
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 02:39:22 pm »
thanks , i own a discovery so think I'm going have to try borrow or hire one for now

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 04:05:02 pm »
I thought since the foot and mouth outbreak that livestock had to be carried in a proper livestock trailer.......some people at the local auction market bought some cade lambs and were putting them in the back of their van.  market staff stopped them.  All that happened then was that a farmer put them in his trailer and they met him in a layby up the road and put the lambs in the van again!!!

I have to confess that when we were shearing, rather than mess about just for my pet sheep, we popped him in the back of the van and took him up the road to be done with OH's big sheep.

So, can I then carry my goats, or sheep in the back of the landy?  What about when you have to fill a movement sheet in and it asks for details etc of transport?  By carrying them, I mean if I buy some, not to take to market or slaughter.  It would be so much easier than pulling the big trailer.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 04:07:31 pm »
The last 2 sets of goats I have bought I have transported in the back of my car! The forms only ask for Regestration Number any how.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 04:21:45 pm »
And there was me, telling Bertie to lie down and hide .....and what did he do?  Stand up the whole way, enjoying the view out of the back window!!

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 05:00:16 pm »
Officially, you should only use a vehicle/trailer that is 'fit for purpose'...a vehicle that does not have a ramp, washable floors and sufficient space/headroom does not qualify...so if you get caught just act surprised and ask 'how did they get there?'...oh, and remember to use the seat belts...clunk, click every trip!

Farmer ;D
 :farmer:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 08:30:20 pm »
This is the kind of ludicrous regulation that ticks people off. Obviously, if I was taking a cow a long distance, I wouldn't put it in the car. But I've brought weaners home in the puppy cage in the back of the car and taken lambs to the vet in the same way - they are safe (safer than they woudl be in a trailer towed by me!)and the cage is cleaned down afterwards. I wouldn't do it for other folks animals but where's the danger of crossinfection?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS