Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Post weaning  (Read 3415 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Post weaning
« on: August 15, 2009, 02:33:08 pm »
We took the two tup - well, tup and ex tup - away from their mums today. The ewe lamb is younger so we're going to leave her for a wee bit longer. The lambs seem unconcerned - the ewes are much more upset!

Question; at some point, we will have to put the weaned ewe lamb back in with the ewes. How long do we have to keep them apart before it is safe to do so ie the milk has dried up and the lamb had gone off suckling?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
Re: Post weaning
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 05:09:22 pm »
we tend to do it after tupping if its necessary for reasons such as giving the lambing field a last rest before christmas. Otherwise they stay in seperate fields
Ian

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 11:45:39 am »
The ewes will be going away to the tup early November. They're going into a new rented field next week, I hope. I want to put the lambs back in with them asap so that our field can get a rest ie before November.

Three weeks has been mentioned to me - does that seem resonable?

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 12:29:39 pm »
personally I think that is a bit soon, ewes can remember what a feed bag looks like for years so I know they have a good memory as I said ours are off their mothers for about 3 1/2 months before being reintroduced but then we do have plenty of fields. (2 months weaning then 6 weeks tupping)
Ian

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 04:48:06 pm »
I'm a bit confused here. Is the issue about milk production or breeding cycle? I'm no expert but I would have thought it unlikely for a ewe to begin to lactate again after it has dried up. And I wouldn't think it would take more than a week to stop producing milk.

So, can anyone clarify whether reintroducing lambs to the same field as their mothers will cause any actual problems? Thanks.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 06:33:31 pm »
Wait a week and I'll tell you. I'm moving the ewes into the new field on Saturday and I'll be moving the ewe lambs over the following week, so Lyra will have been away from her mother for 3 weeks when they go back in the same field. I'll have a look / feel at the udders on Saturday.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 11:31:52 pm »
I would think you would be okay Rosemary, if the ewe has stopped producing milk, she will only be annoyed if her ewe lamb tries to suckle, and will soon show her that she shouldn't be suckling anymore by belting her one!

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS