Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello from me  (Read 3291 times)

moorlandman

• Joined Aug 2009
Hello from me
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:39:42 pm »

Hi everyone,
I'm Terry and a couple of years ago I took early(ish) retirement from local government, I'm married with two grown daughters and five super grandkids.
I love gardens so I enrolled at college and gained an 'advanced certificate in garden design' followed by a 'Professional diploma in garden design' (got a distinction both times- sorry for boasting)
I've been lucky enough to have just acquired an allotment, but I'm a complete novice and a total divy in the world of growing veg; so no doubt I'll be looking at the forum regularly and probably asking for loads of advice from you experienced growers out there.

Looking forward to being involved with the group

Best wishes

Terry

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Hello from me
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:43:09 pm »
Hi Terry and welcome. I am sure you will get loads of help, encouragement and guidance here, I couldn't grow a thing so good luck.

James

sandy

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 10:20:19 pm »
Hello, you only get one chance in life as far as we know, so, a change is as good as a new life!!!! I worked in Social Services, enjoyed it but absolutly love my life here now, although the down side is I miss my family.....Welcome!!!

marigold

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Kirriemuir Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 11:25:35 pm »
Hello,
and congratulations, I work in local govt and have to wait a bit longer before I can jump. So I have to squeeze in the veggies and chooks in the bits of time that are left.
Which as you will know are not long enough. Sounds like you'll have a great time on your allotment. Bet your neighbours there will have a bit of advice too. Its amazing how much you can talk about growing things and looking after things once you start.
Kirsty
kirsty

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:46:26 pm »
I grew a few veg this year for the first time - they were rubbishy looking but they taste nice.
Welcome to the forum, Terry
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 07:02:41 am »
Hi I tried to grow some veggies this year (as every other year) and once again, the pigs, ducks, chickens defeated me.  I have a lovely crop of various weeds though.  Welcome.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 09:22:33 am »
Hi, Terry and welcome

Where are you?

moorlandman

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 10:27:58 am »
Hi Rosemary,

I live in a place called Knypersley, in the Staffordshire Moorlands the area is very hilly, my house is situated on the side of Biddulph Moor which is the start of the Pennine chain, about a mile east is 'Lask Edge' with fabulous panoramic views toward the Derbyshire Peaks, one mile west is Mow Cop ridge with panoramic views across the Cheshire plain towards the North Wales mountains.
We are literally slap bang in the middle of the country.

Thanks to everyone for your kind Welcome messages.

Kind Regards

Terry ;)

Troubled Waters

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 12:10:13 pm »
Hello! Sure you'll get loads of help from lots of sources. We really want an allotment, must do something about that...

Start with easy stuff and the successes will encourage you to try more!
 :carrot: :apple: :pepper: :brocolli: :cherry: :corn: :peas: :cucumber: :spud: :squash: :rasp:

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 01:35:52 pm »
Hi Moorlandman...welcome to TAS, where you are sure to get all the help and advice you need; great bunch of people.

I'm in Staffordshire too, near Stafford at present but moving to 7 miles south of Nantwich at the end of this month...have been moving stuff for almost six weeks and still have loads to do...moving house is stressful enough, but try moving an entire farm!!!....sheer hell!!!!!!!

All be worth it in the end...glad to have you aboard, won't be much help on the gardening/veggie front...that's the realm of she who must be obeyed, but plenty of knowing people on here

Farmer  ;D
 :farmer:

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 08:18:53 pm »
Hi Morelandman
welcome!
we lived not too far away from you, in Madeley, other side of Stoke on Trent for 8 years before coming back 'up north' to the lovely wet country that I call home.
really miss my fruit trees and warmer climate but worth it for the family and our new way of life.

when I need some help, sanity or just an enjoyable read, this is where I hang out. Great people and community

If they don't know the answer to problems, don't know who does.!

take care
Lynne

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS