Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Needle felting  (Read 2352 times)

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
Needle felting
« on: December 22, 2013, 07:53:31 pm »
Hi,
Usually some of my Christmas pressies are in the form of cash, so hopefully this year will be the same  :excited:, so I thought I might try needle felting, I've had a look on the web, and as usual I 'm confused, should I go for a kit that has about 6 needles in it of different sizes, along with a foam block and some sort of needle holder, or would I be better to buy everything individually, only problem is I don't know what sort of needles I will need, I quite fancy having a go at making some animals  :sheep: :pig: :dog:, so can anyone advise please.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Needle felting
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 10:16:46 pm »
Sue, I've only done a bit of needle felting and started with the kit. The advantage of the needles in it is that they are encased in a plastic tube so it isn't as easy to stab yourself.
Then I did a short course where the teacher sold us a needle. I think I only paid about 35p for it so defo cheaper than the kit form. I used the sponge from the kit with it but you could use any old piece of sponge.
To be honest I don't think there is much to choose between the it and the single needle from the perspective of the actual felting although the individual needle might be easier for shaping something like animals.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:19:21 pm »
I have recently taken up needle felting and love it. I looked at kits but decided to buy the things separately. I bought a needle holder with three needles and some spare needles from Wingham Wools and some wool tops and foam pads from Sara Texture Yarns. I use the holder for larger areas but a single needle for fine work. There is advice on the site for choosing which needles you need.

I haven't tried animals yet but have made flower brooches and some Toothfairy plaques.

http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/Lesleykays/media/002-1.jpg.html?state=replace

Cheviot

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Scottish Borders, north of Moffat
    • Hawkshaw Sheep yarn
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 08:23:48 pm »
Thankyou ladies,
I will get a few needles and holder, and a pad to start with and see how it goes.
MGM your brooches and plaques are wonderful, so pretty and colourful.
Regards
Sue
Cheviot, Shetland and Hebridean sheep.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 11:07:47 pm »
Thanks, Sue. Enjoy it when you get started.

Spinningfishwife

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:32:45 am »
I have three needles which I picked up separately at workshops and I use a cheap car sponge as a base. Total cost about £2.50. You don't need to invest much in kit to start with. The multiple needle holders are good if you're doing large areas or coarse work but for detail one needle held in your fingers gives more control.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS