Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Roaming calves  (Read 3822 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Roaming calves
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:19:16 pm »
I have just had a phone call from the lady who has just moved in to the house, suppose you call it next door, but its two fields away.  She said the calves belonging to the farmer who rents some of our land, have escaped this evening into next doors field, and have been rattling at her gate.  She has shood them away apparantly.  I said it is rather dark for me to go stumbling through the long grass next door - its pitch black outside, and I am sure they have either returned to the cows the way they went, or have filled their bellies and lay down for the night!!!

She seemed to think I ought to ring the farmer, but I do not think he will thank me for waking him up at this time. He gets up about 4.30am.  And what can he do about it anyway, he will be in the same position as me, stumbling about in the dark!!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Roaming calves
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 11:29:47 pm »
And why couldn't she ring the farmer herself anyway! ;D  The only problem is if they get out of the fields and onto roads.  Otherwise I agree they are best left to go back to their Mums
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 10:20:55 am »
How are the calves this morning?

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:29:31 am »
Towney ? ::)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 11:28:35 am »
Got up early, rushed out, and there were all the calves, grazing peacefully.  Completely innocent looking.  They must have returned the way they went.  Probably when it was time for their milk.  Rang the farmer early this morning, and he has been and checked the fencing.  Found a small gap where they have pushed through in the woodland.  He only found it because there are little hoof marks.  Not somewhere you can see easily.  And going to be a difficult place to fence without trimming all the branches back.  He has done temporary repairs, as no doubt the calves will be going that way again.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS