Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Another spam posting Dan?  (Read 161613 times)

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
Another spam posting Dan?
« on: December 17, 2013, 01:04:42 am »
Insomnia...by Inssomni? Looks dodgy to me.......
Quite ironic as I'm obviously suffering from it typing at this hour!!  :roflanim:

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
Re: Another spam posting Dan?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 09:01:30 am »
Yes, all tidied away now, thanks.  :thumbsup:

Hope you got back to sleep!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 10:04:28 am »
I'm not an insomniac - quite teh reverse, but I noticed a few when I come to the computer after breakfast - I reported three I think in the last few days.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 08:14:19 am »
Three more this morning, and they've been on since at least 5.30 am. Anyone who isn't computer savvy and clicks on these links is in for a right load of trouble. We need some protection from this spamming, its become almost constant.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 09:20:13 am »
Three more this morning, and they've been on since at least 5.30 am. Anyone who isn't computer savvy and clicks on these links is in for a right load of trouble. We need some protection from this spamming, its become almost constant.

Please don't exaggerate the amount and the nature of spam we get on here, this is just scaremongering.  ::)

Yes, there are a few spam posts per day. Given the level of traffic we get it is a very small number.

Most spam posts are trying to improve the SEO of the link posted, not to generate "a right load of trouble" for those who may click on them.

The vast majority of the spam posts are cleaned up within an hour, often sooner, with the exception of those posted very early in the morning.

It isn't "almost constant".  ::)

As with the entire internet, not just TAS, if you don't have confidence in the link you're clicking, don't click it. None of the spam posts on here have anything to do with smallholding, and I've yet to see one that is enticing to click on.

If you'd like to help the situation please volunteer to be a mod, then you can remove the spam posts as soon you see them.

Thanks,

Dan

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 09:51:55 am »
To me - it's really obvious what the spam ones are - they tend to have unintelligible usernames and the post title is often unrelated to smallholding in any way - especially the ones which are obviously marketing something.

The fact the the vast majority of the spam posts have no views and no replies suggests to me that most forum users are also aware of these characteristics and steer clear.

Thanks to Dan and all the moderators out there who are tirelessly sweeping up the whole time.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 09:54:30 am by suziequeue »
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 09:56:16 am »
I'd just like to thank the other early bird moderators ..... they leave me very little mopping up to do by the time I get on here........  they are mostly so obvious I could delete them without opening so why anyone would click on a link on one beats me!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 10:04:06 am »
Thanks Suzie

I swept the board at 2 am (my body is still in New Years Mode) and bizarrely due to kids actually still being asleep i got a lay in till 9.15 today (possibly a new record post kids)

By 9.30 all the spam was gone.

I have it easy as I have no stock to look after (well 6 chickens but they aren't demanding) and I don't work much in the winter...

When kids are in school I am logged on by 7am every day and scan the site at least hourly from then till about 10pm most days, there are 4 other mods who still often beat me to pulling messages that are obviously spam.

Oh and if people actually report the spam rather than moaning it goes direct to my phone, and on the odd occasion we get one that is more offensive than the obvious ones that do no real harm i'll go out of my way to log on asap and check its been deleted.

For a site that has a lot of useful stuff to offer, a few spam posts sitting in view for a few hours over the holiday period really isn't a big deal is it?

Slightly vexed by the negativity of a few people on the subject

>:( >:( >:(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 10:10:48 am »
None of the spam posts on here have anything to do with smallholding, and I've yet to see one that is enticing to click on.

this

I always report any I see, but it's not that common now as they're mostly cleared out before I get on.  It takes seconds to report, you only need to report one occurrence of a given post (they may be in several boards) as the mods clear the lot out once they're alerted, and it's rare the posts are about for more than a few minutes after they've been reported. 

The mods do a great job and I too am very grateful to them. :-*

But David  :-J - don't you be as bad now, it's just one voice moaning instead of simply reporting and thanking ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 10:14:17 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 10:18:24 am »
sorry mummy sally

i is tired i hate confused body clock...

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 01:59:08 pm »
I worry that the moderators must be getting a blizzard of spam reports every time.

Should I still report stuff? Or am I just telling you what you already know??
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »
I worry that the moderators must be getting a blizzard of spam reports every time.

Should I still report stuff? Or am I just telling you what you already know??

Please do report it, it's never wasted and always appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS