Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chilli Tablet  (Read 7407 times)

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
Chilli Tablet
« on: August 25, 2009, 01:06:29 pm »
Hi

i'm looking for a good recipe for chilli tablet.

i've a glut of chillis now - most pleased with my 1st years attempts at growing them from seed - and i need to find something to do with them. But more importantly, we plan to dish out home made chilli tablet to our wedding guests next year - so we've a year to perfect the recipe

so, anyone know a good chilli tablet recipe.

any hints/tips/pitfalls of tablet making would be greatly appreciated too as we've never made it before

thanks
SB (and the Future Mrs SB)

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
Re: Chilli Tablet
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:45:51 pm »
What on earth is chilli tablet?   ???

Is it sweet like Kendall cake or something?

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:58:16 pm »
just normal tablet but had chillis in it. I bought it from a stall at the Highland games in nairn last year - it was gorgeous (can't remember the company name though)

as everyone coming to the wedding knows i grow my own chillis, thought some chilli tablet would go down well with the tea/coffee at the end of the meal

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 04:07:47 pm »
yes but what exactly ( for us sassanachs) is a tablet?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 04:26:51 pm »
sort of hard fudge
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 05:08:39 pm »
A chocolate manufacturer came to talk to our W.I and he brought samples one of them was chilli chocolate. It was incredible!

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 01:01:55 pm »
There is a little company called Montezuma chocolate and they do a wicked Chilli and Lime choc!  It's scrummy.  I bought a load at the Chilli Festival at West Dean a couple of weeks ago - all gone now!   :yum:

Glad I know what tablet is now anyway!  Good luck with your search - I expect that someone at the chilli festival was making it - I'll have a look through all the bumpf.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 01:32:46 pm »
Mmmm. Tablet's lovely; nicer than fudge IMHO.

bunnyruth

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 10:57:13 pm »
Hello folks,
I had never heard of tablet until a year ago when I visited Scotland ... then I fell in love with it.  We do not have anything like it here in the US.  Would anyone be willing to share a recipe for just plain tablet here?   :D

Thank you very much,
Ruth in New Hampshire

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 02:15:39 pm »
lol , don't forget those people who can't eat peppers/chilli's lol

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 08:09:33 pm »
OK folks
old family recipe- no honestly so don't tell my mum I've let it out of the bag.!!

Scottish Tablet

Ingredients

1oz butter
3/4 bag granulated sugar
397g tin of condensed milk
fill empty tin up with semi skimmed milk and add

and thats it
the trick is to get the boiling right.
add everything to the pan (jam pan or thick based is best- mum uses an old pressure cooker pan)
on a very low heat and stir with a wooden spoon until all the sugar has dissolved- (when you no longer feel or see any sugar grains in the bottom of the pan). then turn the heat up to boil. It will change to a lovely goldon brown colour- stir it occationally to prevent it sticking.
boiling should take about 20 mins- (sorry can't be more accurate but it isn't a precise science)

have a cold plate on stand by- when it looks as if its thickening, put a little on the cold plate and leave for a second or two- then push it with your finger (careful- hot sugar burns!) if it has formed a skin which cracks then its ready.
pour out onto a grease proofed paper tray or greased moulds and leave to cool-
watch the kids queue up for the 'scrappings' out of the pan- (we used to think they were the best bits)
score the tray while its cooling, that will make it easier to break when its cooled

its very sweet and very morish.! consistency should be like firm fudge, not hard like the commercial stuff.it should melt in the mouth- fussels conddensed milk used to be the best for tablet but we have to put up with carnation since they stopped making it.

tips
use the real condensed milk in a tin- not the pouring stuff or 'diet'- it doesn't work.
make sure you have dissolved all of the sugar before you turn the heat up- otherwise its not smooth and creamy when you have finished and likewise try not to over biol or it will become too hard.

never added chilli to it before- will give it a try- stem ginger works well.
good luck! you've got a year to pefect it- let me know how it goes,

Lynne

bunnyruth

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 09:21:11 pm »
Dear Lynne,
Thanks for the recipe and instructions!!  I am looking forward to giving this a try.

Ruth in New Hampshire

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS