Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ID Query  (Read 9532 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
ID Query
« on: August 24, 2009, 08:06:09 pm »
I phoned the Trading Standards people to get some AML2 forms ready for when the pigs go to slaughter.  When I told the woman that the pigs were tagged with the previous owner's herd number she said that to go to slaughter they must have my herd number.

So the first question is - is she definitely correct?  When I first got the pigs and queried this I was told it was fine!

If its not fine what do I do?  Do I remove the tags?  I don't want to re-tag the pigs as the tags have caused no end of trouble as they keep bleeding e.t.c.  Would I be better off leaving the tags and then slap mark?  Help, what do I do.

Maybe I should just phone the abbtoire and check with them.  Any advice would be great.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: ID Query
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:19:52 pm »
What did the local office say when the pigs were moved to your holding in the first place?
Check on DERFA website, I cant remember what they told us!
Little Blue

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 09:33:25 pm »
If the animal is under a year old, then any mark will do, even a spray on the back!!
That's in Scotland though, not too sure of others!!

I would of thought one mark is enough if it's for slaughter!!

Phone the abbatoir, they always know the updated rules!!!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 09:39:07 pm »
When I got the pigs they were tagged before they went on the trailer.  I posted the AML2 form to Trading Standards.  I think I may have asked people on the GOS website for advice.

The any mark wil do for under 1 yrs is OK for moving a pig, but doesn't apply for going to slaughter as far as I know.

I'll try and phone the abbatoir tomorrow to get a clearer idea.

smiffy

• Joined Jun 2008
    • http://www.northmoor-rarebreeds.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 10:20:21 pm »
the pigs need the identification number of the place of birth.
do not re tag them
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:22:21 pm by smiffy »

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 08:33:22 am »
This may help.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/id-move/pdf/pig-poster.pdf

Either way, slap mark them with your holding number.  The carcass must be traceable to you.  What point in tracing the breeder if you had the disease (not of course suggesting you would have just making the point).

There is a whole topic on this on River Cottage. 
Here ...                    http://community.rivercottage.net/users/dixie/forums/pigs/viewtopic/topic_id:24923

Confused, you will be, its DEFRA.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 11:10:38 am »
I've just been looking at this myself.

They definitely need your herd number on them, but don't need individual numbers themselves.  The abbatoir I use need them to have the metal ear tags with my number.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 01:36:31 pm »
Hi MiriMaran

your pigs need to be identified with eartags, a double slapmark or a tatoo with your herdmark if they're going to slaughter. We eartag ours the morning they go to reduce the risk of infection developing. If done correctly they barely even notice they've been done. I'm not sure if you will need to remove the old tags - probably not if it will cause distress to the animals. Your best bet is to ring your local Animal Health Officer at DEFRA as they will give you the correct answer - some abattoir owners tend to misinterpret rules etc so your better off being prepared & telling them you've spoken to DEFRA first - just incase they query it.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 04:40:10 pm »
But dont stress it will all go fine. 

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 07:19:31 pm »
OK will ring the Animal Health people tomorrow.  Didn't manage to phone the abbatoir as I had horrible children today that wouldn't leave me alone.  Anyone want to buy them off me?  2 for the price one 1!!!!!!!  In fact I'll pay you!

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 08:05:17 am »
The simplest and most recommended method of ID for slaughter is to apply a double slap mark (one on each shoulder)...this confirms your herd number and conforms to traceability requirements...application is quick and relatively painless and the pig doesn't get stressed...the slap tool applies an inked 'tattoo' to the skin, whilst at the same time piercing the flesh sufficiently to 'brand' the pig...this ensures that when the pig is split (all carcasses are cut in two halves) both sides are identifiable as yours.

Slap markers can only be purchased through an approved supplier (we use a company called Fearing and you can order on-line at www.fearing.co.uk).

Hope this helps

farmer
 :farmer:

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 07:06:26 pm »
I phoned DEFRA and the woman said I needed to have my ID on the pigs to go to slaughter so I asked if I needed to use green ink to slap mark since the pigs had black skin.  She didn't know so put me on hold to check with her supervisor.  She then returned to the phone saying yes to green ink, but that I didn't need to worry since the pigs don't need my ID as they are under 12 months old!!! ??? ::)

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 07:56:30 pm »
Thats what we do here, if its under a year old then a mark is sufficient, but ours are tagged. Fortunately we dont buy in to fatten up so they only ever have my tag.

Glad you're in the clear, so to speak!!

Enjoy your pigs when they return!!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 08:00:19 pm »
Thank you!

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 12:53:37 pm »
Hi MiriMaran,

sorry to throw a spanner in the works but the DEFRA lady was incorrect (which is worrying). All pigs going to slaughter need to be identified with your herdmark irrespective of their age via a tatoo, slapmarks or an eartag. The 12 months rule relates to movements between holdings. Pigs under 12 months old can be identified with a temporary paint mark when moving between holdings which must last for the duration of the journey. These rules come under the current PRIMO (Pig, Records, Identification and Movement Order) which came into force in April 2007.

Hope this is helpful

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS