Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ID Query  (Read 9533 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: ID Query
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 08:10:06 pm »
OK thanks for that YorkshireSmallholder I'll give them another call.

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 08:55:43 pm »
Spt on YorkshireSmallolder...DEFRA woman got it wrong...not surprising though eh!

Slap marking is the solution

Farmer
 :farmer:

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2009, 07:20:38 pm »
Anyone got one I can borrow?!

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2009, 10:09:35 pm »
No point in borrowing MiniMaran...it has to have YOUR herd number...not expensive, take a look at the website I recommended in an earlier post

farmer

Farmer

• Joined May 2009
  • Sidway, Staffordshire
    • Farmeats.com
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 10:47:31 pm »
Just noticed this add on the TAS forum - Pig Equipment, Slap Marker, Pig Board Ideal For The smallholder - www.pigletspenpigshop.appee.co.uk

Hope this helps
farmer

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2009, 09:14:58 pm »
Thank you

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2009, 08:36:55 pm »
OK I phoned the AHO in Staffordshire and explained about the conflicting info that I'd been getting and she absolutely swore blind that the breeder's tag is fine for the pigs going to slaughter and said that if any of the bureaucrats question it to give her a call!

So I'm going to listen to her I think and hope for the best.  Thanks for everyones advice.  Next time we get pigs we will definitely slap mark with OUR herd number!!!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 10:44:07 pm »
I thought you had to mark them with YOUR numbr for slaughter, it was my post on river cottage listed above! I rang defra who confirmed it! I bought a slap marking kit for £80 including the ink (green) slapper, and ink pad. If you can get it cheaper in separates dont bother with the ink pad, if you're only doing a few at a time you can use an old toothbrush to ink up the slapper and not use the pad, HTH! Next time you buy weaners insist they come with a temporary paintmark so you dont get unpleasant bleeding from tags! The tag thing is a joke anyway, they have to withstand carcass processing! I've yet to have a pig returned with its tag intact ::) Good luck when are you taking them?

chickenfeed

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 08:20:55 am »
hi
i would always slap my pigs you can always see you have your own back from slaughter by the slap marks i dont know about other slaughter houses but i have never had an ear back so ear tags would be no use. i do know a lot of people round here to slap on all 4 quarters just to make sure their own pig comes back when cut up its hard to tell.
dont worry about the green or black ink situation saddlebacks kill out white, we always use black ink on ours.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 08:47:20 am »
We are planning to take the pigs for slaughter towards the end of the month.  The only problem is its very close to our 5 year olds birthday!

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 10:56:37 am »
Mini party sausages then!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2009, 08:57:21 pm »
Where are you taking them, and are they butchered on-site?
Ours are breeders, being Kunes but the piglets we cant sell next year will be sausages, so I'm interested, if you dont mind me asking!
Little Blue

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 07:29:17 am »
Good luck.  It will all be fine.

LB not sure if its the same over there, but our slaughter house will only take pigs between 90-110 k.  Check before taking them.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2009, 09:00:44 pm »
Littleblue, I'm taking them to Elliots in Chesterfield and then the carcasses will go to the local farmshop where our neighbour is a butcher.  He'll then bring them home to us and he's going to help us butcher them on the kitchen table!  He's also ordering sausage casings e.t.c. for us so we get them at trade prices.

Dixie, Harry has already asked us to label all sausages so that he only eats his pigs sausages!  Don't know what his friends will think of eating our pigs though!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 08:49:01 am »
They will not bother, once they have tried them.  be prepared for queues of Mother's wanting to buy your sausages once the kids have tried them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS