Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Aloe Vera  (Read 8072 times)

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
Aloe Vera
« on: December 09, 2013, 06:38:02 pm »
Whilst this plant is a cactus, I have listed it here because of its medicinal properties. Being a member of the 'Black-hand Gang' (mechanic), I like using this plant for my skin. Unfortunately the last few Aloe Vera plants have all struggled to survive and have died on me?
Are there any successful growers of Aloe Vera out there?
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Aloe Vera
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 06:40:36 pm »
i use to grow it australia - but thats not much help  :roflanim: :roflanim:
my friend grew it in her kitchen. kept in the centre of the table. they can get quite big, multi-pronged.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:28:14 pm »
I had one that was like a triffid. It just kept growing and producing more little plants. the one at work is the same. They just looked after themselves except for a splash of water now and then.
Got fed up with mine and gave it away.

Odin

• Joined Oct 2011
  • Huddersfield
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:29:15 pm »
Must be an 'altitude problem' ? Whilst `i worked down in the town, I had one in my then office that grew like mad . Since moving 'up here', cannot get them to survive`?
A man who cannot till the soil cannot till his own soul !
A son of the soil .

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 11:50:11 pm »
Mine grow beautifully for me and I have had several flower as well, generally in the winter time, oddly. If you buy ericaceous compost to pot them up in they like that - oh, and don't waterlog them. Other than that, there's not much to get wrong as far as I can tell.
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 12:10:15 am »
Must be an 'altitude problem' ? Whilst `i worked down in the town, I had one in my then office that grew like mad . Since moving 'up here', cannot get them to survive`?
Are you high in Huddersfield? I'm near Durham at one of the highest peaks in Durham and the plant grows wild.  They also need ericaceous soil. My lad has just planted a sapling up from our large plant at work so it looks like another triffid in the making here  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS