Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Polytunnel Movement in wind  (Read 13462 times)

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Polytunnel Movement in wind
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 09:22:44 am »
Understand now.  Had visions of a proper greenhouse inside it!  I was planning on making a couple of cold frame covers to go over some of the raised beds to help keep things a bit warmer  in the tunnel.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 01:58:47 pm »
Oh it is a proper greenhouse - 8'x6', aluminium and glass, just not the hyper toff type Alan Titchmarsh has  :roflanim:   :garden:
In fact, does anyone want to buy it, S Lanarkshire?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 02:01:18 pm »
a real green house - inside a polytunnel???

that's genius , I have 2 flimsy greenhouses that I wasn't sure what to do with.  does it not catch the roof in the gales?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2013, 03:39:09 pm »
a real green house - inside a polytunnel???

that's genius , I have 2 flimsy greenhouses that I wasn't sure what to do with.  does it not catch the roof in the gales?

It does  ;D  - I've described it in my long message above, if you can plough through it.  The one time it did it poked quite a big hole in the polythene but it mended well with repair tape - fortunately poly cover tears don't seem to 'run'.  The greenhouse would be better being further away from the sides.  My polytunnel is quite tall, 10' I think so it doesn't hit the crop bars or the middle of the polythene.  If I'd realised in advance how much the tunnel structure flexes, and how much the polythene stretches in the heat, I would have put the greenhouse more centrally, or facing the same way as the tunnel - at the moment it sits across the tunnel and one apex comes to within about a foot of the south side wall of the tunnel.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

JulieWall

• Joined Aug 2013
  • Cornhill, Banff
    • The Roundhouse
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2013, 06:01:28 pm »
We have a first tunnels 60' x 20' tunnel and it is rock solid. They build their tunnels with closer hoop spacing than other makes specifically for this climate, it shouldn't rock at all. Have you contacted them for advice scribble?
Permaculture and smallholding, perfect partners
http://theroundhouseforum.co.uk/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS